New Years Eve Dinner....Tradition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
Many years ago, my wife and I had a horrible time holding on to money...... if we had it, it was gone! I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about....

We decided to start a tradition that has helped us put things back into prospective each year.

Building up to New Years eve, we have a great time, Family, giving, receiving, remembering and sharing.......... and of course food. We use food as an almost symbolism of our wealth............ a false sense of security........

So every year, we end the year like this:

20071231_173340_new_years_036_r.jpg

Prime rib, Baked potatoes, asparagus, carrots with cashews and raisins in a rum sauce and for an appetizer we had bacon wrapped scallops (not pictured). (Also note my new set of dishes) (Johnson Brothers, Friendly Village set).

20071231_173736_new_years_044_r.jpg

And a great wine to go with our meal:

20071231_173846_new_years_037_r.jpg

Someday JW is going to have to tell me whats in this wine, it's awesome! Good job JW, It was a great choice for me to have as I finish out this year.

My wife chose her Raspberry white zin that she made 2 years ago and is very good right now........ unfortunately this was her last bottle.

20071231_174132_new_years_038_r.jpg

As we eat our meal, we reflect on the things that are on the table, and what they mean to us...... for me it was obviously the family that I love, the great fortune (not money) that we have, and the friendships that we create in our life, with some we may never meet, but would like to. We reflect on all the good that 2007 has brought us...................

Because tomorrow, WE EAT BEANS!!!!!!!!!

Thats right, beans. Navy bean soup made from left over ham from xmas, black eyed peas, collard greens and corn bread.........

It's back to the basics......... eat cheap, live cheap and save save save!............

I hope everyone has had a wonderful year, and I hope everyone has a HA</font>PP</font>Y N</font>EW</font> YE</font>AR</font>!!</font>!</font></font>

Edited by: jobe05

Im still eating left over turkey and love it. Turkey and stuffing sandwiches are the best. Ill be opening a bottle of my first real fruit wine from scratch which i havent had as of the day I bottled and it was pretty good then. Strawberry-Kiwi was bottled 11-15-06.

We had pork and saurkraut, peiroges, blackeyed peas...our traditional New Years Eve dinner.

Jobe, you have a great philosophy, there....You seem very happy!!!

Ramona

Thanks Ramona, I am very happy....... I have the best family in the world..... that includes the ones that live right here with me, those that don't, and good friends, like you and others here. What more could a man ask for.

Had the Beans soaking (Navy Beans) for a couple of hours now they are in the soup pot with some cut up ham and the remaining ham bone which will become the dogs snack later.

20080101_101523_new_years_004_r.jpg
20080101_101622_new_years_006_r.jpg

I love Pork and sourkraut! I forgot about that, but when I was in Florida one of the guys kept talking about it, it sounded horrible so he brought some in to let me try and they were awesome. He used the Long cuts of I think pork rib (WalMart) and laid them in a big glass Pyrex dish, covered with the Kraut and baked for a couple of hours........... Now I'm getting hungry...........

I have a traditional meal for New Years, its a hot dog &amp; ketchup soup with water to drink, remembering to a time in my life when this was a feast for us kids. I then pray this will never happen to my family and vow it doesn't. Edited by: Tomy

I've heard people tell of ketchup sandwiches and wiener water soup....tough times I guess...Hope it never comes to that.

Our New Years tradition...since we moved here isto go to the tavern in our town...have their special of steak and shrimp and drank their 'finest'...[Gallo.... Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon ....I like the tiny little bottles it comes in]...we don't go into town often and this way we make an appearance and visit with the neighbors and locals and socialize a bit.....Came home and watched movies we got from friends for Christmas and drank our own wine.

Tonight we grilled up somefillet mignonwe picked up, baked potatoesalong with sautéed mushrooms/onions and roasted heads of garlic....Steak two nights in a row is good living......

Have Pinto beans soaking for chili tomorrow....and maybe the next day.Edited by: Northern Winos

Had my chili ( homeade) last night NW. It was the final, gourmet topping for some hot dogs, smothered in onions, jalapeno's, cheddar cheese, andsour cream. We had a great day with family and friends, did do the traditional pot of blak eye peas. My Mother-In-Law brought back memories of my Father-In-Law making homeade wine back when Kathy and I were just dating by presenting me with a gift that they had discovered while cleaning out his old storage shed this last week. What an awesome gift it was................

jug2.jpg

grandpajug.jpg

jug3.jpg

My plans are to have the bottle rack powder coated, get the old carboy cleaned up and I will be racking my 2008 batch of Muscadine into this treasure.

Sweet Waldo, How big is it? and is that rack so that you can tilt it to keep the lees confined and get the most out of your volume of vino?

Ramona....you come up with the neatest stuff
smiley20.gif

Our new years day was spent on liquids only. Claire (17) has and endoscopy and colonoscapy this morning. Nothing serious but she's had gastric issues for a while now. We know it's not cancer or anything but I'd appreciate your prayers.

Whenever we have an opportunity to celebrate we should take it. Real life is difficult enough without missing out on the good times.

Peter
We will say a prayer for you both. Not a fun way to spend your time. Hope they can get to the cause of her discomfort and get it fixed up for her.

Waldo
Make sure you check that chain well to make sure it hasn't rusted. If you are powder coating it nobody would notice if you replaced it with new before coating. Great gift.

peter,

Curtis had 3 colonoscopies in 2007 and an endoscopy and other tests....turned out to be IBS.....Will be thinking of your daughter and I'm sure she will be fine.....and hungry when she gets home.

Ramona

In Mexico we had racks like this so we could tip the jugs to get water out, they are fairly common down there for bottled water.
jug3.jpg
We had found one at a garage sale years ago, with a jug and gave it to some friends who were making wine at the time...Edited by: Northern Winos

the procedures went really well today. We were out by 11. She was hungry but a medium pizza an 10 buffalo wings solved that.
We then went shopping (which all dads love to do with their teenage daughters of course) and had a good time and got back home to the rest of the family by 3.

Thanks to all who helped by praying.

Peter.

rgecaprock said:
Sweet Waldo, How big is it? and is that rack so that you can tilt it to keep the lees confined and get the most out of your volume of vino?

Ramona....you come up with the neatest stuff
smiley20.gif

Thanks Ramona. It is a 5 gallon and I believe it will clean up nicely

Peter: Glad to hear everything went well. Since I didn't see this till after the procedure, I will pray that all stays well for Claire and your family.

Edit: One other question Pete (a little off the subject). I have been dumping all the lees etc...., down my drain.... I'm on a septic system. Is this good for the system or bad?

Waldo: You gotta set on you son if you r gonna put wine in that..........this year anyway........

I hear you there Jobe. Waldo, we want pics when you have that carboy cleaned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, Waldo, Clean carboy pics....and peter.....happy to hear about your sweet girl.

Ramona

Latest posts

Back