New Winery Begins Production

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A memo to management:
I normally keep 4 types of Lalvin yeast on hand for making my country wines, which blackberry is deemed as a country wine.
These Lalvin yeast are Tried-and-True with me.
They are as follows;
D 47
71 B
K1-V1116
EC-1118

I also from time to time dabble in spontaneous fermentation until the ABV is around 4% and then I finish off with one of the Lalvins mentioned above. But this method is a whole different memo to management lol
I have been using 1 of the 4 of these Lalvin yeast with good success over the years. Of course this is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions right? Lol
Hope this helps!

IMO, EC 1118 is a yeast to be used for a higher ABV of around 18%. It is also used for stuck fermentations. For a more rounded yeast with an ABV of 14 to 15% then you can't beat 71 B. It also lends to a more fruity aroma, a nice mouth feel and more complexity in your wines. To me, this is my go to work horse.

Let us know if management is causing any more problems 😆
Keep us abreast on how your blackberry wine is turning out.

Will do! I could not resist the temptation to look in on it yesterday after about 6 hours with yeast. I was surprised at what was going on. It looked like a good cap had already started forming. A couple of bubbles.

Checked on it again last nite after about 12 hours with yeast, but didn't bother to uncover it. As I moved my considerable nose in close to the cover to get a whiff I could hear the sound of bubbles popping. Then I gave a good sniff and the aroma was incredible. I've always liked the smell of yeast breads/doughs, but this was a whole new thing. I could smell the alcohol with the yeast, with a little berries in the background. It's great.

Opened and stirred this morning after 24 hours with yeast. Didn't bother to check the SG as I was happy with other signs. I'm addicted to the fragrance now. Couldn't stop myself from having a little taste. Oh my.

Day 2 (2.2.21): Opened and stirred after 48 hours with yeast. Looked fine, but sure seemed to be bubbling very little. SG = 1029. Stirring made some serious foam. I still have a sinking feeling that the yeast is going to let me down. Will add 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient tomorrow. Management is giving me the stink eye.

What was your starting SG? You may want to add that nutrient now. You add after you have fermented 1/3 of the sugar and it sounds like you have passed the first 1/3. (E.G. you started with 1.090, 1/3 is 1.060.) EC-1118 will blaze through; fermentation will slow some but it will finish.
The smell of CO2 should be pretty strong along with the fruitiness. Keep tasting and notice that the sweetness is replaced with tartness and alcohol. (Don't panic; it will get better after primary - my banana went from lovely to "gag a maggot" by the end of primary.)

I'm on it. Could someone explain the rationale, please? Nevermind, I see it now! EC-1118 (and 71 B) are in the mail.

Last edited:
Starting SG: 1.091
And you started on Sunday??? You may be dry before you can add the nutrient!

The rational is the directions and the fact that once you get most of the sugar consumed (lower SG) the nutrients are wasted; don't think they are very effective.

Others may have better insight (chemical insight).

Because you are not fermenting on the berries there is a lack of nutrients in the must. To help the yeast ferment out to dry the nutrient addition will keep them active.
The nutrient will not impact the flavor just keep the yeast healthy.

And you started on Sunday??? You may be dry before you can add the nutrient!

Yes, pitched the yeast at about 7:30AM CST Sunday.

Because you are not fermenting on the berries there is a lack of nutrients in the must. To help the yeast ferment out to dry the nutrient addition will keep them active.
The nutrient will not impact the flavor just keep the yeast healthy.

I'm going to need some clarification of "not fermenting on the berries" please!

In other words, did you use whole berries (frozen or fresh) or a concentrate from a can or kit?

Back