New Winery Begins Production

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the confusion. Then there maybe enough nutrients to finish out with but another addition of nutrients will not hurt.

It's all good. The additional dose is in, btw.

Day 3 (2.3.21): SG = 1.004. I will likely rack tomorrow. Smells wonderful. I believe it's going to be much paler than I anticipated, and that's just fine.

I believe it's going to be much paler than I anticipated, and that's just fine.
Interesting. Blackberry is usually pretty dark.

Though I made a dried black currant and dried cranberry that turned out as a rose. I thought it would be much darker. We really liked it so I have to get another batch going.

I used 5 lbs of berries and added about 3 quarts of water total including additives. I just didn't have the cojones to try pure berries. Maybe when I get a few more batches under my belt. The recipe called for 4 lbs berries + 1 gallon water.

Wine is forgiving
Because you are not fermenting on the berries there is a lack of nutrients in the must. To help the yeast ferment out to dry the nutrient addition will keep them active.
The nutrient will not impact the flavor just keep the yeast healthy.
* stressed yeast/ fast growing yeast creates sulphur off flavors which we can prevent by feeding the yeast.
* option two is to run a low temp fermentation, ie put the primary outside in the garage, a slow 50 F ferment also reduces demand for nutrients

@RickD ”weinerdog” is south of Houston. WOW,, I remember many hurricanes I was glad I lived in the Heights instead of south in the marshes/ rice paddies.

Day 4 (2.4.2021): SG = 0.993. Racked to carboy. I bought these from Amazon (North Mtn Supply): Amazon.com: North Mountain Supply - 1G-38-ST-TB-2 1 Gallon Glass Fermenting Jug with Handle, 6.5 Rubber Stopper, Twin Bubble Airlock, Black Plastic Lid (Set of 2): Industrial & Scientific

The stoppers just won't work. They are embossed with "THE VINTAGE SHOP #6.5". In my frustration I actually shoved one all the way down into my carboy full of wine, so it looks like my first gallon is down the drain. I may be able to salvage 750ml.

Management is livid.

On a happy note, the color looks far better than I anticipated.

IMG_1477.JPG

The stoppers just won't work. They are embossed with "THE VINTAGE SHOP #6.5". In my frustration I actually shoved one all the way down into my carboy full of wine, so it looks like my first gallon is down the drain. I may be able to salvage 750ml.

Can you get the airlock out of the stopper? If so, having the stopper floating around in the carboy probably wouldn't prevent you from racking it.

I actually shoved one all the way down into my carboy full of wine, so it looks like my first gallon is down the drain. I may be able to salvage 750ml.
Don't worry about the stopper. I have a jug with a stopper that has been inside for at least three or four years. I just figure as long as I can sanitize the stopper and the jug, all is well.

agreed a stopper will not be an issue

old technology to do an air lock was to stretch a balloon over the jug, ,,,, one that I have done on large (88mm?) was to stretch an up side down silicone funnel over the thread and then stick the air lock in the narrow end ,,,, another is to run hose into a glass of water/ sanitizer the gallon jug thread is used on a number of grocery store and hardware store containers

Can you get the airlock out of the stopper? If so, having the stopper floating around in the carboy probably wouldn't prevent you from racking it.

Just the stopper went down. I was trying to insert the stopper first then insert the airlock. The airlock served as the perfect tool for shoving the stopper all the way.

The carboys came with a no. 6.5 stopper. I believe a 6 would work. My problem may be due to the fact that the I.D. of the jug mouth is greater at the top (about 1.100" ID) that it is about 3/8" down from there (to 1.090" ID).

Will do! I could not resist the temptation to look in on it yesterday after about 6 hours with yeast. I was surprised at what was going on. It looked like a good cap had already started forming. A couple of bubbles.

Checked on it again last nite after about 12 hours with yeast, but didn't bother to uncover it. As I moved my considerable nose in close to the cover to get a whiff I could hear the sound of bubbles popping. Then I gave a good sniff and the aroma was incredible. I've always liked the smell of yeast breads/doughs, but this was a whole new thing. I could smell the alcohol with the yeast, with a little berries in the background. It's great.

Opened and stirred this morning after 24 hours with yeast. Didn't bother to check the SG as I was happy with other signs. I'm addicted to the fragrance now. Couldn't stop myself from having a little taste. Oh my.
I love coming home to the aroma of fermenting wine, I do my primary in the kitchen during the winter months so I get smell it often ..

Latest posts

Back