New Trellis System

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by Larryh86GT, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Larryh86GT

Larryh86GT Senior Member

These are my new trellis systems I put in this fall. The old trellis posts were 4 x 4's with post stakes. They held up for 6 or 7 years on my 2 Marquis vines and maybe 4 years on my 3 Reliance vines but eventually the post stakes became too loose in the ground. The new end posts are cemented in 3 foot down and angled out a bit. The 2 vines have a staked post in the center with the cables running through eyebolts and the cables are about 22' long. The 3 vines trellis cables are about 31' long and I have 2 staked posts between the vines with eyebolts that the cables run through. I have turnbuckles on each cable. I think this system should work better.
    :b
    Larry
    Trellis 11-26-17 (1).JPG Trellis 11-26-17 (4).JPG

2. salcoco

salcoco Veteran Wine Maker Supporting Member

I would add a t-post to each vine. fasten the vine to the post it will keep the trunk straight and also help release pressure on the trellis.

3. BigH

BigH Member

The first time I looked at this, my eyes were fooled into thinking the wagon wheels were part of the system. Old eyes I guess.

In hindsight, it may have been wise to put a bit more lean into the end posts, but it is hard to tell from the pics. That cement should really help. If you have an problems, you could always add an anchor to the ends.

H

Johny99 likes this.
  4. sour_grapes

sour_grapes Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

I thought that too!