New to Wine making, cutting my teeth with fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongfield

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to wine making and I figured since my wife and I like fruit wine so much it's a great place to start.
I've done some reading and I am going to start out small with a few different 1 gallon batches. Everything I've read says to use the fruit in a nylon bag and add 1 gallon of water with sugar to the fruit in a 1 gallon primary.
My question is how do I get 1 gallon of water and fruit in a 1 gallon primary? Won't I run out of space in the primary? (Same question for 5 gallons).
After reading this is the only question I have. Perhaps it's a total newb question so I ask your forgiveness as I am a newb :)

Thanks,
R

use a bucket to start your primary with,, placing your fruit and ingredients:se according to your recipe in a food grade bucket or stainless stock pot, or the like, , then in 7 to 9 day rack to your gallon jug and use an air lock on the gallon jug, I'm new too,, but I can help this much at least, you'll find worlds of knowledge on this site,,,

Home Depot has some nice 2 gallon white food grade buckets that work as a primary for 1 gallon batches

And make sure you get a bucket that is plenty big. If you use one that just holds the must with the fruit in it and it is close to the top, I will almost guess your next post will be "My wine came over the top of the bucket, down the sides and all over the floor, counter, or whatever thebucket was sitting on." Been there. If it is close to being full, set it on a tray, or pan or a large garbage sack just pulled up a little on the sides. If it goes over, the cleanup is much easier, especially if you have it on a nice surface. Mine are usually over unfinished concrete so if something happens it is an easy cleanup. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks all!
So I'm not crazy thinking I needed a bucket larger than 1 gallon. Would a 3 gallon bucket be too big in this case? I know about too much air in the secondary but is there the same problem with air in the primary?

Thanks all!
So I'm not crazy thinking I needed a bucket larger than 1 gallon. Would a 3 gallon bucket be too big in this case? I know about too much air in the secondary but is there the same problem with air in the primary?

Not really. Within reason, you can use any size bucket you want.

Thanks all!

No, not crazy!! I have 3, 4, 5, and 6-1/2 gallon buckets. All collected from bakeries and resturaunts etc. and always looking for more. I always try to come out with an extra 1/2 gallon or so of must/wine to top off and/or sample so bigger is better.

In an active ferment C02 is being produced and protects the wine. A towel or cloth placed over the primary opening is all that is necessary. If you have a lid for the bucket you can set it loosely on top over the towel or cloth to keep the cat from stepping into it.

Beano Joe

Last edited:
Usually make 5 & 6 gal fruit batches and due to the bulk I ended up buying a ten gal primary, works great. I know I could have split into two buckets but this was easier and I could have both primaries going at the same time. Cranberries & apples are the largest with blackberry, raspberry, elderberry next. Measured and marked magic marker lines on the side for gallons. Works well for me.

Latest posts

Back