WineXpert New pricing coming June 1 for WE kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, yes, Joe - that's a question. If you were going to buy an Eclipse kit before the MAP change, would it be:

A. The Lodi Zinfandel.

B. The Nebbiolo.

C. The Pinot Noir.

Well, as you know, I did the Merlot about the same time as you, and today I am planning to start the Lodi Zin, so I suppose you know my answer!

Actually, my understanding of the OP was that there was to be a change in the advertising policy of WE, not necessarily a price hike. My LHBS already charges the MAP, I believe, and I typically buy it from them at a discount (due to AHA membership or occasional sales).

Which to choice

from a price point stand point the vintners pino noir is the best bet for a good tasting wine with a couple of twist,and cost effective as well.on the other hand if you have the means then the LE/super tuscan would work well with a couple of tweaks.
and last but not least from spagnols the shiraz /viognier simple outstanding and all might i add drinkable in 8 months better if aged.what a choice to have to pounder???

Actually, yes, Joe - that's a question. If you were going to buy an Eclipse kit before the MAP change, would it be:

A. The Lodi Zinfandel.

B. The Nebbiolo.

C. The Pinot Noir.

We've done the entire Eclipse line, some of them two or three times. Out of your three choices listed above, the Barolo/Nebbiolo is definitely the winner, by a significant margin.

Well, I'm glad to read this... Just pulled the trigger on the barolo and the zin kits...

Well, I'm glad to read this... Just pulled the trigger on the barolo and the zin kits...

I'm quite confident you'll be happy with the Barolo, don't be afraid to add all the oak that comes with it, and let it sit on it for a while. The Zin is also decent, we've made it twice. One is coming up on two and a half years and quite nice, the other is 18 months out and starting to get good. The pinot is 17 months old, but is currently underwhelming. I wouldn't recommend it at this point, we're holding out hoping it may come around with more time.

Okay - I'll add one more (only because I've been fighting the urge to make this my next kit) layer:

I agree that, of the three, the Nebbiolo is the most attractive. Now, between these two, which would you pick:

* WE Eclipse Nebbiolo
* WE SE/with skins Amarone

Last edited:
Okay - I'll add one more (only because I've been fighting the urge to make this my next kit) layer:

I agree that, of the three, the Nebbiolo is the most attractive. Now, between these two, which would you pick:

* WE Eclipse Nebbiolo
* WE SE/with skins Amarone

The WE Eclipse Barolo/Nebbiolo.
Next time we make Amarone it will be another CC Showcase or RJ's En Primeur. The WE Amarone isn't as good as the CC or RJ's.

By the looks of it I may be priced out of wine making.
I might have to resort to making my wine from store bought concentrate, whose name I dare not type!

Returning to the original point of the thread, We to intend to vote with our wallet. We bought 5 Eclipse kits before the price hike. It put a giant hole in our budget but we weren't about to be ripped off by anyone's price fixing scheme. These are the last WE kits we will ever buy unless they come to their senses. I hope more people will do the same and maybe they will figure out they made a huge mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Some of this thread doesn't make allot of sense to me.

"I dont like you MAP policy and will not be supporting your company in the future but hey here is 600-700 dollars as my way of saying goodbye"

If you want to stand up for a principal, why give them a dime?

Just me i guess

cheers

Some of this thread doesn't make allot of sense to me.

"I dont like you MAP policy and will not be supporting your company in the future but hey here is 600-700 dollars as my way of saying goodbye"

If you want to stand up for a principal, why give them a dime?

Just me i guess

cheers

The retailer already owns the product, so buying before the price hike makes sense. And, tanking sales after a spike (assuming others do the same) sends a message.

I haven't yet seen one of these MAP agreements, so I don't know the ins and outs. Personally, I'm hoping there's a decent "work around" for retailers. I'm a little concerned given the other minimum pricing I've seen on the LP website:

***About our prices***
Winexpert has enforced a minimum price.

We do have special prices for our local customers where shipping is not needed. Give us a call, or just place your order online and choose the "pay when picked up" option. We can't tell you the prices, but they are inline with our regular pricing structure. :)

To counter this mandatory minimum pricing we are offering you:

•*FREE SHIPPING on all of the limited edition pre-orders.
•Our free shirt offer.
•All of the Limited Edition come with Free Labels.

* * *​
Free shipping takes about $18 - $22 off the price, which is nice. But...

Last edited:
Putterrr - my logic for spending $600 now and boycotting after the price change goes into effect is that I want them to see their sales fall off the cliff when the new policy takes hold. If others do the same thing they may well see a big surge in sales in May but when June roles around and nobody is buying hopefully they will get the message :)

Guys from Texas got around MAP by not advertising the price. They took the Newegg/Best Buy route of showing you the discounted price in your "Cart".

Guys from Texas got around MAP by not advertising the price. They took the Newegg/Best Buy route of showing you the discounted price in your "Cart".

Which guys from TX? I see one guy with a list of $188 and a 'discounted' price of $169. $169 is the same as the three other vendors I looked at.

Latest posts

Back