New Postulation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
Here's a wine postulation for the forum to address: If you could select two places in the world to go learn about wine making, assuming that time and money were not an issue, which two places would you choose and why?

I believe my two selections would be the locations of Mendoza, Argentina and Barossa Valley, Australia. Given those two locations, I would choose Nicolas Catena's winery for Argentina and the Kaelser winery for Australia. I'd like to learn from the man that was something of the Robert Mondavi of Argentina and see how he approaches the art of winemaking from conceptual standpoints as well as his methods for coaxing out the great qualities of his grapes with such smoothness. From Kaesler's winery, I would like to not only experience their process with their meaty Shiraz wines, but also how they work their whites and Cab-Shiraz blends and just how they pick which specific fruit goes into their special selection Shiraz wines. I could think of several more locations throughout the world, but I'd have to put those at the top of my list currently.

- Jim

For me, it would be France, and more specifically in the Bordeaux region. I'd like to learn either at Chateau Margaux in the Margaux area, or Chateau Leoville-Barton in the St Julien appelation. After that would be Italy, and more specifically in Tuscany at any winery there, as there are too many for me to pick. I could learn Chianti, Brunello, Vin Santo, and a whole bunch of amazing whites like Verdello.

For me it would be rrawhides and applemans places. Within the realm of what is possible here in the states for home wine makersI believe they got it going on !!!

Hmmm lets see.

If I only had 2 it would be to intern or apprentice with either Mike Grgich (Grgich Hills Estate) or Warren Winiarski (Stag's Leap).

Both were truly the pioneer vintners of Napa Valley that helped it go from making poor quality jug wine (think Gallo Brothers) to first class award winning wines that could hold their own against the French. Think "Judgement in Paris".

Jim,

Fun question. I would say André Tchelistcheff at Heitz in Napa. I've had the good fortune to hear great stories from one of his many apprentices.

Second choice would be Justin Meyer at Silver Oak. With that monastic break out, he had to be a good time.

Dean said:
For me, it would be France, and more specifically in the Bordeaux region.

Dean,

I'm heading to Bordeaux for my first time in May - it's possible my answers will need to change. :)

- Jim

OMG! I'm sure you will love it there. I've been very fortunate that someone from my extended family was a senior wine buyer for many years, and specifically, she dealt with French wine. Because of that, I've been exposed to quite a lot of Bordeaux's amazing vintages that most would not get a chance to sample, unless one was extremely well off. This experience has been awesome for me, and it exposed me to what the region can accomplish and why it is world renowned.

The weather in May should be awesome as spring transitions to summer. The food is wonderful too, and always pairs well with the local wine.

Wow, I am jealous Jim! While flattered with Waldo's answer, I am hardly someoneanybody would want to emulate! I would much rather visit any of the major wine regions of the world. It would be interesting to visit the land of my ancient ancestors someday, but heck I rarely even make it out of the state let alone go to France.

While the trip won't be exclusively to Bordeaux, it was a specific highlight of our journey to go see some friends in Spain. We purchased tickets in January and I believe this will fulfill my 'resolution' of tasting wine in at least two different countries. It will also be a trip for our wedding anniversary, which helps as well.
Dean, I'm quite excited - it's hard to experience the different array of wine that Bordeaux has to offer even through tastings at wine retailers. While I won't be able to get a full grasp of the area, wine will certainly be tasted. :)

- Jim

I think that, if given the opportunity, I would enjoy spending a harvest season with Kent Rosenblum, just to learn how to bring out the fruit and flaors that he does from Zinfandel.

I think it hasnt been said as of yet, but Valpolicella, in Northern Italy and to learn the Amarone method. This is truely a blending artform.

Well, Jim, what a wonderful and interesting question you pose. I would
like to spend some time in Italy. The small medieval hill town of
Staffolo in the Marche Region that has some interesting wineries and
vineyards that I have read about. There are small, medium and large
wineries there. A couple of them are Enoteca Brocani and Vignedileo. Be
interesting to spend a harvest season there, wife wouldn't, learning
about the old-time way from generations of families. I would also like
to go and visit Gesualdo, Italy and see the family home of Al
Fulchino.

20100203_153355_fulchino.jpg

What a neat looking place - wonder if there are any Fulchino's around
and would have me stop by to meet them. Al, we are planning a trip to
Italy in 2011-12 so may be.

Secondly, I would like to visit and spend some time at Chateau
Montelena. This is where Bottle Shock was filmed and wow what a story.
Just the idea of work, creation, failure, tears and success is quite a
complete circle. I would love to try their Chardonnay. As luck would have it - we were in Napa this Monday
and Tuesday and did not get up to Calistoga - never even thought about
it! Must be the age!!!

AND also Argentina and Australia has some draw tooooooo!

Waldo, thanx for the comments but I must answer the same as Appleman.
There are many more to learn from than me as I just fumble along. But thank you for the
compliment.

rrawhide

hahahaha...thats funny Rick...that is the boyhood home of my grandfather ..yep its still there, but really no one can live in it right now...but family is all around there...i almost got there in oct 2007 but my son decided to get married in nov of that same yr and that put that trip to rest..maybe next yr :)

and actually they spell there name as fulchini.......the 'o' came when the first one arrived in america

Latest posts

Back