New Muscadine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cecilias9

Reaction score
In addition to the 5 gallon carboy, I have two jars of wine, a half-gallon nearly full and a gallon with only about 1/3 full. (This was my husband's experiment, and it consists of all the wine juice that was left behind with all the sediment that he couldn't pour into the half-gallon jug without getting lots of sediment. He wanted to see what would happen to it.) Well on the bottomof the gallon jug, there was at least a 1/4 inch of sediment. Now, three days later, it hasalready begun to clearand the sediment that remains is very little. The half-gallon jug is still bubbling frequently, at a pace of about once every 40 seconds or so, and the gallon jugjust about every minute or so.

Two questions: When the gallon jug quits fermenting, but still has sediment on the bottom, can I add campden and wait til the carboy needs to be topped off, or will it go bad with so much head space?
Second - Will it have more alcohol because so much of the yeast has been used up or does that have anything to do with anything?

20100713_140341_compare_wine_ju.jpg

20100713_140427_half_gallon_jug.jpg

This is the small jug as it looked on Sunday when we transferred from primary. It's the same as the one above that is on the right. What a difference, and then a big difference in the jug on the left. Amazing! in two days.

I would personally steal back that wine that is supposed to b your husbands unless you are using what you have in the other jar to top up the 5 gallon. Unless you had undissolved sugar that ended up all wine vessels will produce the same amount of alc. but some will ferment faster and slower depending on how much viable yeast ends up in each bucket. The one with the most best yeast count will obviously ferment the fastest as it has more cells to do the job.

Definately top the carboys off. Allowing so much head space allows for more contact between your wine and oxygen which will cause your wine to oxidize.

It is possible someone else has a similar question and will learn the answer without having to ask questions that have already been asked though.
I didn't realize it was so old though until after I'd already posted my reply lol.

Last edited:
It is possible someone else has a similar question and will learn the answer without having to ask questions that have already been asked though.
I didn't realize it was so old though until after I'd already posted my reply lol.

We're just busting your chops.

I make muscadine anytime I can get the grapes. Ask away:r

Oh I know. I laughed when I saw the reply. I'm easy going and have a good sense of humor. The second reply was even better. I just made up the whole someone else might see it thing on the spot lol. Sounded like a good defense but it was the farthest thing from my mind when I replied at first lol

We're just busting your chops.

I make muscadine anytime I can get the grapes. Ask away:r
And I'm already buying the required components to plant a small muscadine patch in my side yard. I should get 3 rows, 90 feet long, 15 to 18 vines. Enough for 750+lbs of fruit in a season.

It really doesn't take a lot. I live in the middle of town and have a very narrow side yard. It's about 90 foot by maybe 30.

Latest posts

Back