New member with 6 gallons of fresh Cardonel juice, need advice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strut

Reaction score
Hi all,

Like I said, I just received about 6 gallons of freshly squeezed Chardonel juice ready to go into a fermenter. This is my first try at wine making but I do have a bit of experience with a hydrometer and fermenting stuff :i

I prefer a full bodied dry red wine, but understand this grape can
make a good dry white wine. It helps the juice only cost me a lunch tab with a friend. :D

I have a generic recipe for Vinifera & hybrid grapes suggested to me by my local supply house:

SG 1.100
Acid 0.5% to 0.8%

One Gallon:
1 Camden Tab
1/2 tsp. Pectic
Yeast Lalvin D47 or EC 1118

The yeast I picked up is Red Star Premier Cuv'ee, any problems here?
So, is it safe to just multiply the Camden and Pectic for a 5 gallon batch?
I'm not entirely clear on what the Fruit Acid % means. I understand pH and have a digital meter. Can you convert this fruit acid % to a specific pH?

I have read that Chardonnay's are often oaked . I don't guess the charred oak chips I have around are going to work, huh?

Any help & suggestions you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you going for a crisp dry white or a rounded fuller buttery white? If you can get powdered French oak from a local brew shop, then adding some to the FERMENT will get you the fuller. You could also use a mix of light toast and untoasted chips, but anything larger like cubes or sticks will not work as well. Keep the ferment towards 65* or lower. Hopefully someone will add info on the pH. Good luck!!

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure exactly what characteristics I like in a wine, I'm far from a connoisseur. I can tell you that I dislike sweet wines. I occasionally buy and enjoy Cabernet, Shiraz, and Merlot. Shiraz is probably my favorite. I don't generally buy whites, but I've had some I liked. I stay away from boxed wines, but have enjoyed the inexpensive "2 buck chuck" from Trader Joe's. I save my $$$ for a good bourbon ;)

I did come home to a surprise and found my 6 gallons of juice was actually 6 gallons of crushed grapes. It took me a bit to figure out how to deal with it, but a few hours later and a lot of work, I got about 4 gallons of juice out of the deal. Maybe I'll try some Grappa with the remnants :dg

I'm sitting at a temperature adjusted SG of 1.105, with the Camden and Pectin doing it's thing overnight. I'll pitch the yeast tomorrow.

I'll be fermenting in my basement that stays in the low to mid 60's year around.

I still haven't looked into the whole fruit acid % vs. pH thing. I've got a bit to figure that out.

My oak is heavy charred, maybe 1/8" thick by 1/4-1/2" chip.

Last edited:
Are you going for a crisp dry white or a rounded fuller buttery white? If you can get powdered French oak from a local brew shop, then adding some to the FERMENT will get you the fuller. You could also use a mix of light toast and untoasted chips, but anything larger like cubes or sticks will not work as well. Keep the ferment towards 65* or lower. Hopefully someone will add info on the pH. Good luck!!

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean anything larger like cubes or sticks would not work? Are we talking sacrificial tannins for colour retention, or are you talking about for good oak character and tannin extraction?

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure exactly what characteristics I like in a wine, I'm far from a connoisseur. I can tell you that I dislike sweet wines. I occasionally buy and enjoy Cabernet, Shiraz, and Merlot. Shiraz is probably my favorite. I don't generally buy whites, but I've had some I liked. I stay away from boxed wines, but have enjoyed the inexpensive "2 buck chuck" from Trader Joe's. I save my $$$ for a good bourbon ;)

I did come home to a surprise and found my 6 gallons of juice was actually 6 gallons of crushed grapes. It took me a bit to figure out how to deal with it, but a few hours later and a lot of work, I got about 4 gallons of juice out of the deal. Maybe I'll try some Grappa with the remnants :dg

I'm sitting at a temperature adjusted SG of 1.105, with the Camden and Pectin doing it's thing overnight. I'll pitch the yeast tomorrow.

I'll be fermenting in my basement that stays in the low to mid 60's year around.

I still haven't looked into the whole fruit acid % vs. pH thing. I've got a bit to figure that out.

My oak is heavy charred, maybe 1/8" thick by 1/4-1/2" chip.

If you want to do this dry you are going to need to do this in one of two ways. A dry crisp white wine with acid balance perhaps not oaked, or you can do a more of an oak forward creamy buttery approach my employing oak and MLF.

Thier are actually methods for testing TA that involves using a PH meter to find the endpoint. I would recomend you do that if you have that method available to you.

Here, give this link a read,

http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/measure_acidity.htm

BTW, I highly recommend against using your oak chips in the wine. Oak for wine is one of those things that have developed over a number of years. Nowdays, you have three main choices, French, American and Hungarian oak all with their different toast levels. I prefer using cubes and staves for all of my oak addition since it more closely resembles what one would get from a barrel due to their thickness. Plus, since they have a lower surface area per unit volume they take longer to extract flavour and tannin and thus it is harder to over dose your wine with cubes, staves and spirals than with chips and powder.

However, oak powder can have a use in red wines ( maybe whites not sure) for helping stabilize colour by doing some magic with the yeast. ( not quite sure of the mechanism off the top of my head).

Sacrificial. I am trying to give the OP a buttery Chardonnel. During the fermentation the oak and must have a reaction to each other, yet the actual oak profile is not nearly as pronounced as if the oak was placed it finished wine. The oak adds body and some flavor, thereby achieving a Chardonnay like buttery profile. Ferments are generally short times, under 6 weeks :p so cubes would be less effective in giving up what they have to offer to the must. Powder gives everything up very quickly, though will mostly fall out of suspension with yeast and not make the wine "taste" over oaked. Something whites should never be.

Ahh thanks for the clarification. I guess if the user found that they wanted some more oak in their wine after the "sacrificial" tannin addition that they would always then turn to barrels, cubes, and staves for more complex oak characteristics if they found that is what they wanted.

Thanks Seth, I read over the acidity article you provided.

I still don't understand the reasoning behind the complex Titration calculations vs. just measuring the pH of the must.

The method of adjusting the acidity is the same as if you were adjusting the pH of any other liquid. One (I) would assume their would be a simple correlation or ratio of T.A to pH? e.g. TA 0.65% = 3.5pH or to adjust TA by 0.01% adjust pH by X.

That would make winemaking easy wouldn't it. Unfortunately there is no direct correlation between pH and TA, only a general correlation as they measure two completely different things.

One (I) would assume their would be a simple correlation or ratio of T.A to pH? e.g. TA 0.65% = 3.5pH or to adjust TA by 0.01% adjust pH by X.

I read over ibglowin's link. It was very informative.

"pH represents how much acid is in a wine
regardless of how strong it tastes,
whereas a titration measures
how strong that acid tastes."

Got it.

Yet it goes on to say...

"IN REALITY...
A wine that has a proper range of pH will usually result in a wine that also has an acceptable level of tartness. The opposite usually holds true as well. A wine that has a proper level of tartness will likely have an acceptable pH reading. But, this is not a given! You can't always assume this will be the case. For some wines getting the acidity levels correct can be a challenge."

So, since I don't have a TA test available... If I shoot for a ~3.6pH using a balanced wine acid mix I "should" be ok for this batch?

I'll pick up a TA test kit next time I'm in town. I need to pick up a few smaller 3 gal carboys anyway.

Thanks everyone.

PS. Anyone ever use 1/2 or 1 gallon mason jars for racking and clearing of small batches?

Last edited:
If you have a PH meter you do not really need a TA test kit. Do some reading, you can actually take a sample and use the PH meter to identify the end point needed to reach a certain PH. Based on the amount of base needed to do that you can get the TA. This should work much easier than using an acid testing kit.

So, since I don't have a TA test available... If I shoot for a ~3.6pH using a balanced wine acid mix I "should" be ok for this batch?

It all depends on the grape and where it comes from. You have to know your starting materials and their associated chemistry to really know. Otherwise you are just guessing and maybe guessing wrong.

That is why you really need not only the pH meter but also a TA test kit of sorts. That said, the only thing that a TA test kit comes with is a plastic cup with a nice snap on lid, indicator (which you don't need if you are using a pH meter) a 10ml plastic syringe to accurately measure your titrant and of course the most important thing your titrant which is usually 0.1N NaOH. This is why a TA kit is one of the least expensive things you can purchase for wine making. Its pretty simple.

If you get grapes with a high pH say 3.8, 3.9 or even 4.0 I can pretty much guarantee you if you add enough acid to bring that wine down to pH of 3.6 you will have added so much acid your TA will be out of range, perhaps way out of range and now too tart.

Also you only want to use Tartaric acid and not any type of acid blend!

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
I was at 3.6 pH without adding any acid so I just went with it. Picking up TA kit just to play with and have the titrant of my pH meter.

Out of curiosity, can or should you adjust TA after the ferment? I assume that just like a mash or beer, pH and TA will change as the wort ferments?

I really appreciate all the info thus far!

I have a few bushels of fresh picked red NY Muscatine I just de-stemmed and froze last night (by hand :( ). Wine is hard! I'll be posting for help with them in a few days.

Last edited:
You can adjust post ferment but it is always better to adjust preferment. Studies have shown that wines that were adjusted preferment actually tasted noticeably better than those that were adjusted post ferment. If you were at 3.6 preferment then you are more than likely in the ballpark TA wise. I have had California Cab that came in around 3.65 that was filed in perfect with only about 25gms of Tartaric. The wine would have been good without any addition I am sure but if you have the tools you may as well use them.

Last edited:
Just to follow up... here is a pic I took about a month ago of the Chardonel after its first rack. I am still surprised at how orange colored the wine is at this point. I am kind of concerned it got oxidized, but I have no idea how it could have. I did throw a few toasted oak chips in the must during the primary fermentation, but racked them off. Is this normal for a white?

The 6 gallon is a Chambourcin I made from fresh crushed grapes. It is amazingly dense and richly colored. It is going through MLF now. I have very high hopes for this wine.

I still have a bushel of red NY Muscat grapes that I processed and froze 2 months ago. I need to pick up a few more primaries and carboys before I start this last one of the season.

WP_20140929_08_57_11_Pro.jpg

That is very typical (color) when you are looking at that much white wine in one large container. If you take 3oz out and pour it into a wine glass and look at it again you should feel better about the color.

A bit dark, but well within normal ranges. If the grapes got nice and ripe and got more skin color, it usually ends up a bit darler than clear wine even when pressed right away. I don't think you need to worry about oxidation.

That is very typical (color) when you are looking at that much white wine in one large container. If you take 3oz out and pour it into a wine glass and look at it again you should feel better about the color.

Ironically, what Mike is referring to is called Beer's Law. Shouldn't it really be called "Wine's Law?" :D

As was already said, that looks about normal. Maybe a touch dark, but that's hard to say from a picture on a computer monitor. Nothing to worry about as seen from these eyes.

Where did you get your Chambourcin?

Latest posts

Back