Mosti Mondiale New Kit Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
admiral, ohhhhhhh yea!!
smiley36.gif

.17 gallons is 21.76 fluid ounces or 643.45 ml. How hard is that to measure?

PeterZ said:
.17 gallons is 21.76 fluid ounces or 643.45 ml. How hard is that to measure?

Exactly!
smiley1.gif
I like my method... fill 'er to the line. Seriously,none ofmy measurement devices measure in liters and the kit maker assumes that I have measurement devices that do. I think they are from Canada!
smiley36.gif

admiral said:
What is your suggestion for a fairly easy "scratch" wine?

I would start with a gallon of apple juice add yeast and let er rip! Get it in the glass gallon jug, that way you have the secondary.
VPC

You hit it on the head admiral - almost all kits are made in Canada that are sold in the US. It is a much bigger market there with the systtem of taxation etc in Canada.

I use the fill it to the line method myself!

vcasey said:
admiral said:
What is your suggestion for a fairly easy "scratch" wine?

I would start with a gallon of apple juice add yeast and let er rip! Get it in the glass gallon jug, that way you have the secondary.
VPC

That sounds like fun. What yeast?

appleman said:
You hit it on the head admiral - almost all kits are made in Canada that are sold in the US. It is a much bigger market there with the systtem of taxation etc in Canada.

I use the fill it to the line method myself!

Well, unless otherwise notified, that is my plan... fill it to the line!
smiley1.gif

Vince said:
Wow, look at that yeast go! I think I'm in love . . .

Yeah, it was really cooking! Funny thing, from yesterday morning to this morning, there is a complete change. It was evolutionary. That thick cap yesterday that had big bubbles peeking through changed in about 4 hours to all big bubbles and by this morning all bubbles were gone and the wine now has millions of tiny bubbles bursting on the surface. It looks like acoke after the initial pouring. Really neat to watch the process. It has now been 48 hours and I am going to snap on the lid. Tomorrow, I will stir and check SG.

[/QUOTE]

That sounds like fun. What yeast?[/QUOTE]

I would use Cote des Blancs or KIV-1116. I do need to warn you, this cider can be rather addicting so you may want to plan another batch right after this one.
VPC

admiral said:
Exactly!
smiley1.gif
I like my method... fill 'er to the line. Seriously,none ofmy measurement devices measure in liters and the kit maker assumes that I have measurement devices that do. I think they are from Canada!
smiley36.gif

Actually, all of my measuring cups in the kitchen are dual calibrated. I haven't seen US measure only in decades. That being said, I also fill to the line.

That sounds like fun. What yeast?[/QUOTE]

I would use Cote des Blancs or KIV-1116. I do need to warn you, this cider can be rather addicting so you may want to plan another batch right after this one.
VPC
[/QUOTE]

Addicting... that sounds interesting.
smiley1.gif
So, let it work until...the yeast is finished? So, that would be dry...right? Or is it possible to stop fermentation while still slightly sweet? Or just let it work till the yeast finished and then back-sweeten to taste? (I think I just answered my own question.)

Sorry for all the newbie questions... I can barely spell yeast.
smiley5.gif
Just learning. Thanks for giving a guy a hand.
smiley1.gif

OK. Put the lid on the primary. Lock is bubbling merrily away. SG 1.070 Had just a little taste: Very sweet, grapey, with just a hint of lemonade.
smiley1.gif

Let it go to dry and then back sweeten. And you have a choice of how to back sweeten, you can use sugar or to add apple flavor back you can use apple juice concentrate.
VPC

vcasey said:
Let it go to dry and then back sweeten. And you have a choice of how to back sweeten, you can use sugar or to add apple flavor back you can use apple juice concentrate.
VPC

Great! Thanks

Wow Admiral , I missed this post!!
You are turning pro in a hurry!! You got your table up a mat on the floor and a Kit well on its way with a full set of pictures.
smiley32.gif

PS can you help me with my wine room? The wife keeps pushing me out of the kitchen.
smiley36.gif

I don't know about pro,but thank you. SHMBO told me that I was "no way going to clutter up her kitchen."
smiley1.gif
So, I was "forced" to carve out some space in the basement.

The mats came after some kind words about broken carboysfrom several folkson this site. (By the way, these mats came from Home Depot and they smell to high heaven. I may replace them.)

I love to take pictures and this site makes it so easy to post them. Additionally, I have noticed that I really enjoy the posts with pictures. (I am a visual learner.)

Thanks for commenting. Good luck on the wine room!
smiley1.gif

Racked the wine to secondary today. No problems. SG 1.020 (may have waited a little late according to instructions.) Tasting real good. Bubbling away this evening at 46 bubbles per minute. Trying to post picture but not having much luck.

admiral if you want to post pictures for now, you will need to place them in photobucket or some hosting service. Then place the link here. There is something up with the system right now and our administrator is working on it.

OK, I am trying the photobucket approach to posting pictures. Here is the Savignon Blanc after racking:
<DIV ="mediaContainer">
th_P1000223Small.jpg
Kinda small don't you think?
<DIV ="mediaContainer">
<DIV ="mediaContainer">
P1000223Medium.jpg
That's better!

Back