New here and to home wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichK

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm Rich and new to these forums and to home wine making. I've started making wine over the last few months. Both my parents and grandparents made wine when I was a child and have been meaning to start for a while.

My Mum had loads of DJ's in the garage which after a good clean, look as good as new. I have a couple of wines on the go at the moment, nothing that's finished fermenting so far. Hopefully my first wine will be ready to drink in the new year.

Thanks
Rich

Hi everyone, what a great welcome!! Thank you.

I'm over in the UK, looks like you're all on the other side of the pond?

Vernsgal, so far I have dandelion, oak leaf and eldferflower on the go. I have to admit, the elderflower isn't going so well at the moment.

The Elderflower wine in the fermentation bucket at the moment and is due to be siphoned to a DJ in a few days. I’ve followed the recipe, made the must and added the yeast nutrient and yeast to the bucket. The recipe said stir daily for 6 days before moving the DJ. When I came to stir it on day 1, the yeast was clearly working it’s magic and had domed up the plastic lid of the fermentation bucket. However, when I came to stir it on day 2, the bucket lid was flat and it’s been like that ever since.

he bucket is just on the kitchen floor so not too hot, not too cold. I have a suspicion it's the yeast i'm using (maybe poor quality) as I had a similar issue with my oak leaf wine which is now fermenting slowly in the DJ.

Can someone give me some advice whether I can rectify the situation with my Elderflower wine? Should I add more yeast?

Thanks again
Rich

Latest posts

Back