New guy from the northeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
Hello to all . I have just begun my adventure into wine making . I have done some reading and watched some good videos . I got myself a starter equipment kit , ferment bucket ,2 carboys / better bottle , bought the second bottle just in case , siphone hose , two hydrometers , bought a spare . two hydrom test tubes , mixing paddle , racking cane , etc. As for my work , I work for a major railroad / passenger here in Boston mass . I also enjoy smoking meat in my homemade UDS, AKA ugly drum smoker . Hope to gain alot of info from this forum for my begining journey into wine making . If ya want to know more , feel free to ask .

Jeff

Jeff welcome to the party. By the sounds of it, A party it will be at your house. Smoked meat and wine! OMG a new winemaker and not only has a hydrometer but a spare to boot. You have been reading on here or got a good mentor. Stick around and feel free to pop in any time and ask questions or comment. Passenger train huh? Bet you got some good stories to tell! So whats going to be the first wine? Kits are good to start with as most of them make very good wine and very easy to follow instructions.

Welcome to the forum. There's a ton of information already here and, for what you can't find, just ask. You'll have your answer in a matter of minutes.

Jeff welcome to the party. By the sounds of it, A party it will be at your house. Smoked meat and wine! OMG a new winemaker and not only has a hydrometer but a spare to boot. You have been reading on here or got a good mentor. Stick around and feel free to pop in any time and ask questions or comment. Passenger train huh? Bet you got some good stories to tell! So whats going to be the first wine? Kits are good to start with as most of them make very good wine and very easy to follow instructions.

Thx for the welcome runningwolf ans Flem. For my fist wine I am doing a Vino Del Vida White zin , started it yesterday after work 4 pm . The airlock is bubbling on a slow regular basis . First OG was 1.084 . Now its just a waiting period , guess it will give me more time to research . Next time I do a fermentation I will take pics , cam is broke at moment , wifee is getting new one as I type . Now I need to make me a custom wine making table for fermen , and racking and bottling .
And yes I do have some railroad stories , lol .

Last edited:
2PUPs:

Welcome to a great obsession (errr hobby). Even though I'm not a blush fan, the VdeV White Zin is a good first choice. If you add the sweetening pouch, I think it's ready to drink fairly young. If you have any questions about the process or results, please ask, and remember to let us know which kit (or wine recipe) you are making.

Two hydrometers!! Great. They are SO breakable. Two carboys makes the racking process a little easier. Soon you'll be getting another kit and a third carboy to go with it.

Steve

Jeff the table I made is 6 1/2' X 32". It will easily accomodate 10 carboys. You want to make sure you really beef it up also so it can with stand the wieght. If the wife is picking up a new camera I think it would only be fair for her to pick up another carboy and a wine kit of her choice! It wasn't long after I built my first table I slowly started adding more and more.

Welcome from CT! I think there are enough of us New Englanders on here we could have a nice summer party.

I started with 1 kit... 2 months later I now have 6 batches at various stages. It's addicting!

Welcome, Jeff to a great forum. Since this is new to you, I would suggest you check your wine each day to see what it looks and smells like ( taste it if you'd like) and take a SG each day just to see how it progresses. This way you will get a feel for what to expect in future fermentations. Happy vinting!

welcome glad to have ya around. you say your smoker is homemade? If my memory serves me correctly I believe theres a few members on here that have the looking best homemade smokers around, Why don't ya post some photos of the ugly drum. I am allays looking for innovation.

2PUPS..have you heard about Blood Farm in Groton or West Groton..the only usda approved slaughterhouse in mass.....we go there for our meat...look'em up

in fact a side story while i am here....that mohammad atta chap from 911 fame went there and hassled the owner about his price for lamb meat, so the owner said that he ( atta) could go somewhere else then....a short time later the owner of this place recognized him in the hijacker lineup photos

Welcome I too am a fellow wine maker/meat smoker but I mostly smoke deer meat in my smoker

Welcome to a great forum! Lots of good people here with lots of free advice..

Back