new and need help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieutenantFF

Junior
Reaction score
first off, i am new to this fourm AND wine making. i have made a few bottles of corn whiskey in my day BUT wine making seems more...well. you know. Anyways, i started making pineapple wine a few days ago with crushed pineapple. followed recipe with fruit, water, sugar, acid blend, tannin, campden tabs. wait 12 hours add pectin enzyme and then wait 12 more to add yeast. NOW the problem/question i have is will i be able to see fermentation taking place or is it more sutble in wine? there is a thin line of bubbles around the top but nothing that i am used to. are they all different?

i havent yet put my airlock on. i was waiting until day 5-6. please help!

Most wine yeast are low foaming, and depending on the temperature can be quite sneaky (in visual aspects anyway) about their activities.

The best thing is take & record hydrometer readings. Then you can tell if something is actually happening. to quote myself, "Visual signs of fermentation are highly overrated"

Steve

You should be able to smell, see, or even hear fementation taking place, FF. It bepends on the yeast being used. Some yeast work slowly, while others foam like crazy. The temp can make a big difference, too. What your temp?

Just keep an eye on your SG reading. If you check it daily (record everything you do!), you can see the SG dropping as time goes by during fermentation. Follow it to dry, and your good to go!

temp for the 2 days has been between 72-75. i have it in my laundry room that stays dark as well. but temp says the same.

If you take the lid off the fermenter and keep the room dark you can hold a flashlight at an angle and really light up the top of the liquid. You "should" be able to see some really small bubbles coming to the surface. Looks kinda like flies on a pond in the summer. I was just looking at my cran/apple I started today and there isn't any foam and very few bubbles on the edge of the fermenter but with the light I can see hundreds of little tiny bubbles surfacing. Hope this helps!

You can always take a hydrometer reading to see if the SG is coming down. If it is, you're fermenting.

I didn't see where you took a PH reading of the must. Be aware that fermentation can be slow, or difficult and get stuck, if the PH is real low. It's very wise to take PH readings on fruit and adjust your acid level with calcium carbonate,to raise the PH if needed, at the primary before you start fermentation. Your wines are more well-rounded and without flaws at bottling.

Never made pineapple, but before you add acid blend according to the recipe, it would be wise to take a PH of the must. Many fruit wines need no acid blend---instead, they need calcium carbonate because they are already too acidic.

Last edited:
that makes sense. i did alot of reading before i started the process but nothing i read said anything about pH. which, as far as im concerned, this is a learning batch for me. but the good news is over night the fermentation took off and it was bubbling away this morning. i havent yet taken a SG today.

is it to late to take a pH and/or does calcium carb need to be added before fermentation?

PH is something we learned to do very early on so that we KNEW what we were working with. PH plays such a big role in flavor on fruit wines and some cold weather grapes we work with.

No, it's not too late to take a PH reading. We use a meter because it's much more definitive---PH paper is just TOO ballpark. I would think that a pineapple wine should have SOME tartness to it--do you agree? If so, maybe a PH of 3.2 would be excellent. If it's too tart, it will take a lot of backsweetening to balance the acid. If it's not tart enough, it will taste very flabby. Like I said--I never made pineapple--but my instinct is to set the PH at 3.2

The reason calcium carbonate is used pre-ferment is because it takes it quite a bit of time to fall out--like 3 months--so that you don't have any chalky film or taste. Potassium carbonate is not a good choice for aromatic wines because it damages the aromatic profile--even a tiny amount of it. Calcium carbonate works best on cold musts, but since you are only using it to move PH and not to drop out tartaric acids, you can go ahead and dose the must now if you need to.

Check your PH--if it's around 3.2, I would say you're good. Don't over-do the calcium. If you do a search, you can find a calculations table for how much calcium carbonate it takes to move a PH a certain amount. I have to confess that we don't do it that way because we have so much experience using it for the fruits and grapes we work with.

Fermentation can sometimes look sort of slow, and yet be just fine. Some cultures are big foamers--many others are pretty quiet. Good luck--hope it turns out to be a good wine.

Another tip on PH---it's a wise thing to get a good dose of pectic enzyme into the must on the first day in order to start fruit breakdown. Also add some meta to protect it for that first 24 hours of allowing the pectic to work. The reason for this is the PH reading will be more accurate because you'll have some of the fruit broken down and incorporated into your juice sample that you're testing. The second day is always the day of testing, adding sugar to set brix, etc. More work at the primary is a good to learn as a new winemaker. The primary is where you're designing the wine--do a good job here and you won't have to do acrobatics at bottling to try to fix wine flaws. Good techniques will give you good results and you won't get disgusted with a hobby that just never seems to yield good results.

Pectic enzyme will help in clarification too--especially on pulpy, hard to clear wines. Doubling the amount can work wonders for those types of wines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back