Mosti Mondiale Nero d'Avola

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then that is what you should use, just make sure that everything that touches your wine is sanitized.

Dom, absolutely, everything that touches your wine should be sanitized! I even sanitize the floss!!!! Sanitizing everything is a must!!
smiley4.gif

I clean then sanitize
smiley2.gif

this nero d'avola comes with a bag of oak, wondering if i should use it or not. I know i would have to clean and sanitize it, then throw in carboy first then syphon wine in..etc. maybe i will use it, but i think i will need to filter the wine in the end if i use the oak. - i know i should probably filter the wine anyhow... guess i need filtering equip lol...Edited by: Dominick

You will not need to sanitize the oak as it is in a sealed package that is right from the manufacturer. You really dont have to filter your wine especially with a red. I typically only filter whites and fruit wines myself.

Wow is all i can say... today is day 3 of fermenting.
Just took another SG reading and it is at 1.050 (50), 7%abv, 13Balling

I stirred it, most of the foam was gone after I pulled out the spoon.
a great clean red wine alcohol smell, stronger then yesterdays smell.

I just had to take a sample, so opened spigot and took maybe 2oz in a cup, swished it around color is nice, the smell awesome, took few sips, swished around the mouth, swallowed, 10mins later im buzzed!! Light headed hahahahaha,,, I thought i must be crazy, gave the cup to Dad, here taste this, he hates wine, he took few gulps, came back to me 10mins later and said he feels light headed from the wine hahahaha

It does seem tommorow it might get its first racking. I think maybe I should rack it at 1.045 - cause MM directions said rack when its between 1.040-1.050 so im thinking maybe keep it till it hits 40/1.040 or do u tihnk i should rack at 1.045?

Most of the fermenting is done i think, i see the wine now, no more foam after i stirred the must. So i filled up the airlock 1/2 with water and put cover on and sealed the fermenting bucket. Tommorow i will check SG again and see if there is any foam on top or clear wine.

Im glad i picked Nero d'avola seems like this is gonna be excellent wine.

smiley20.gif
Edited by: Dominick

Thats what you think until you rack it and introduce all that 02 and wham it'll be going very strong again. It might be a good idea to rack a little under a gallon into a jug and the rest into a carboy as this 02 will most likely revive your fermentation quite a bit and want to foam up over the airlock in the carboy and thats why I kinda question MM's racking schedule here.

If you are at 1.050, you are nowhere near done fermenting yet. The foam may be less, but it is still actively fermenting. If you got a buzz from 2 ounces now, you will get a buzz at less than one ounce when it's done! I would figure it will be at an SG ready to rack tomorrow.

You may need to build your self up some tolerance to stronger wines. Maybe you will need a shot glass for awhile.

True appleman, i understand in racking will complete the fermentation as it falls to .9** - i meant to say its ready to rack almost.

Wade, i have 2 carboys here, (1) 6 gallon, (1) 3 gallon.
So i will re-read your post and read the MM directions and see if i can swing that. hehe.. posting from my iphone at a resturant, drinking a italian red, it tastes like crap its a merlot marchesi or something...
i like the taste of mine better

smiley17.gif

Took SG reading this morning:

40/1.040 SG
5% abv
10 balling

I think im ready for racking. Reading instructions now.
Only thing im confused on is, im gonna rack today to the 6 gallon carboy,
so when i do the 2nd racking where am i gonna transfer the wine to?

I only have another carboy but its 3 gallon, so after the first racking should i transfer the wine into the fermenting bucket, then clean the 6 gallon carboy, then transfer the wine from fermenting bucket back to the carboy or should i buy another 6 gallon carboy?

Thanks!

Dominick said:
Took SG reading this morning:

40/1.040 SG
5% abv
10 balling

I think im ready for racking. Reading instructions now.
Only thing im confused on is, im gonna rack today to the 6 gallon carboy,
so when i do the 2nd racking where am i gonna transfer the wine to?

I only have another carboy but its 3 gallon, so after the first racking should i transfer the wine into the fermenting bucket, then clean the 6 gallon carboy, then transfer the wine from fermenting bucket back to the carboy or should i buy another 6 gallon carboy?

Thanks!
The red is what to do if you only have one carboy.

photo-8-1.jpg

photo-10-1.jpg

before i started i cleaned and sanitized everything..

MM directions said to empty a pouch called yeast nutrients into the must but "it didnt come with the kit", but george did sent me a bottle of fermax yeast nutrients for my natural grapes, so i used 3 table spoons of that and mixed it in 2oz of water and dumped it into the must after i mixed the must for few mins.

then i added the oak chips to the empty carboy, then syphoned the wine into the carboy. I made sure to scrape the seditment into the carboy, which there was some but not a lot.

I filled up the airlock with the sanitizer water 1/2 way. Now I look at the carboy bubbles are rising up in the wine/carboy. Also the airlock is bubbling.

So I guess I leave this sit for 6-7days, but being that i have the oak in there i need to stir the wine everyday. Thing is: HOW to stir wine in carboy?? Use the degasser to stir??? or use a plastic stick or something?? cause the spoon dont fit in there. i havent tried the spoon but i think it wont fit.

I guess after 10-12 days i will check SG again to see if the wine is 0.996 or less, then work on my 2nd racking.

smiley17.gif

20080621_171437_photo-11.jpg
Edited by: Dominick

You dont really have to stir it. You can just rock the carboy gently or you could use the other end of the plastic spoon. Was there more wine then whats shown as it looks like it will be low when fermentation is done.

Might have a problem...

I let my mother smell the wine today in the carboy, she said it has a very slight rotten egg smell to it. Has my wine been bitten by the dreaded hydrogen sulfide bug? I noticed this too after I added the oak chips.

Any way to combat this?

I wouldn't worry about it yet- it's too young to judge by slight smells. I don't think it would have much hydrogen sufide yet if any.

Back