RJ Spagnols Nero d'Avola

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto-girl

Reaction score
Yahoo! Guess what was waiting for me when I came home from work? Yep, another fun project to get started this weekend. I did notice while reading through the directions, there isn't a secondary fermentation listed. I've never made a RJ spagnols kit before. It looks like its a 2 week in the primary and then off to stabilize. If I've missed something, please let me know.

Dont see that 1 listed on the RJS site. Which kit is it, EP, Grand Cru, Cru Select? RJS has new directions that may only be for grape skin kits as they want you to get the wasted fruit out a little earlier. I have done these kits with these instructions and actually prefer that method as it degases much easier that way. I have been making the higher end RJS kits for a little while now and love them.

Wade, this is the RQ or limited offering for March. I didn't see a grape pack, but I don't think it has one. If the boss lets me go early tomorrow, I'll get started straight away.

Since it has no grape pack then they probably didnt change the instructions for this kit. I really like this method myself and like the RJS kits.

Yep, this kit has a 14 day primary, then stabilize. You'll find that degassing is VERY easy when kits are done this way.

RJS has done thousands of bench trials on this method to ensure that you do not oxidize the wine. Kits with grape packs, due to daily stirring do use the old instructions so as to not oxidize the wine. I use the new instructions even with grape pack kits as I hold the skins under the wine and do not need to stir daily.

This kit was so easy to get started. It was the first one in awhile that I've done w/o a grapepack. The yeast is happily bubbling away at 72*. I did taste the must and it was delicious. It smells good too.

I have access to RJS kits I love them and dont worry if you go a little longer that 4 weeks to 5 and 7 for a 6 week kit. Its wine it likes tlc and that means time. Just wait until you get it in the bottle it will change after 6 mos. and get better

I was planning to bulk age for a year and then bottle. That's been our plan so far. It's the only way to keep our hands off of it until its ready.
smiley2.gif

Back