Need to sweeten blueberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peach wine from my back yard, 7 lbs of sugars acid blend pectin enzyme wine tannin yeast nutrient. let sit for 24 hours then added wine yeast and sealed added airlock and fermented for 7 days, racked added campden tablet and let sit for a month. It’s pretty clear but not much alcohol

You are probably pretty close to 4% abv. 5 lbs more sugar should get you close to 10%
No need to add yeast. Shouldnt hurt, but yeast dont die they stop. Adding sugar should have had you bubbling again in a couple days. You might want to add a half dose of yeast neutreants.

Consider a more thi chi approach. If you have ruined your wine its done, a hasty adjustment won't save it. But if you haven't a few hours or a day to inquire and get answered wont be the cause of failure in most cases. Better to wait for advice for the best options than to dump something in it that may a problem later.

Thanks, we added more sugar and yeast and it is slowly working..
Thanks for your help.... I did a lot of reading and finally came to an understanding of how to use the hydrometer...

Thanks, we added more sugar and yeast and it is slowly working..
Thanks for your help.... I did a lot of reading and finally came to an understanding of how to use the hydrometer...

Yes, unfortunately with EVERY wine kit, and EVERY starter kit there should be guidance, with pictures on how important the Hydrometer is and how and when to use it accurately. Even local stores do their customers a disservice if they even think they have a new winemaker in their presence and they fail to insure that a person has and knows how and when to use this tool. It's probably the most important tool next to the measuring spoons and cups.

You are probably pretty close to 4% abv. 5 lbs more sugar should get you close to 10%

I beg to differ with my friend @meadmaker1 . I cannot hazard a guess where his estimate of 4% came from.

If you add 7 lbs sugar to 5 gallons of water, you would get ~1.058 SG, which would be ~7.6% ABV. Obviously, peach will have some sugar, which would result in a higher ABV. Estimates are that peach juice would be about SG=1.025 or so. In which case, your starting SG was likely ~1.066 and you were looking at ABV=8.6% or so.

You can more easily make these kind of calculations at Fermcalc.com.

Last edited:
I beg to differ with my friend @meadmaker1 . I cannot hazard a guess where his estimate of 4% came from.

If you add 7 lbs sugar to 5 gallons of water, you would get ~1.058 SG, which would be ~7.6% ABV. Obviously, peach will have some sugar, which would result in a higher ABV. Estimates are that peach juice would be about SG=1.025 or so. In which case, your starting SG was likely ~1.066 and you were looking at ABV=8.6% or so.
You can more easily make these kind of calculations at Fermcalc.com.

Ive seen that 1 lb of sugar will raise sg of about 1 gallon of water from 1.000 to 1.040, which is a tick over 5%. with 7 lbs of sugar. 5 lbs get you to 1.040 in 5 gallons. The remaining 2 lbs should raise it another 15 ish to 1.055
With your estamate on juice sg that bumps it up to 1.071, which supports your calculation.
I stand corrected
I didnt guess at sg of peach juice and obviously messed up my math

I found my error. I calculated for water
5 lbs sugar for 5 gallons = 1.040
2 lbs 5gallons-----------------= 1.015 give or take
Average 1.027
But averaged for 10 gallons not five.

Hope i didnt cause any issues

This does demonstrate the value of saying things out loud.

I added the 5 lbs of sugar, yeast, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.. waited two days and still did not see any fermention going on, so after arguing with husband lol and letting him win, we took a hydrometer reading and it was 1.115 but the wine was bitter so he adds more sugar... Lord help us....

I have made wine this way for 30 years. I have never even once had a bottle fail. You just can't put hot wine into cold bottles. Let's not add Skippy remarks just because it's something you've never done before.

I have made wine this way for 30 years. I have never even once had a bottle fail. You just can't put hot wine into cold bottles. Let's not add Skippy remarks just because it's something you've never done before.
??? Skippy Remarks ???

What's the problem here - What is it that seems to be offending you? Are you referring to comments make a month ago?

Last edited:
Back