need new fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn field

Reaction score
I'm in need of a 20 gal. ferminter. Was looking at diferent types of garbage cans or square storage containers. I have forgoten which numbers are clased as food safe. My regular ferminter has the # 2 in the triangle on the bottem. The ones at Wal-Mart have a #4 in them. Home depot and lowes only have the 32 gal brutes and I need a 20 gal one. Would apreciate any help on this matter. Will be going to Des Moine tomorrow and hope to pick one up.

Rubbermaid info ...

Certified to NSF Standard #2 (gray, white and yellow)

Gray, White and Yellow are USDA Meat & Poultry Equipment Group
Listed and assist in complying with HACCP guidelines

corn field said:
I'm in need of a 20 gal. ferminter. Was looking at diferent types of garbage cans or square storage containers. I have forgoten which numbers are clased as food safe. My regular ferminter has the # 2 in the triangle on the bottem. The ones at Wal-Mart have a #4 in them. Home depot and lowes only have the 32 gal brutes and I need a 20 gal one. Would apreciate any help on this matter. Will be going to Des Moine tomorrow and hope to pick one up.
The recycling numbers (ie 4 in a triangle) have absolutely nothing to do with Food Grade or not Food Grade. One Canadian supplier was reported 3 or 4 years ago to have said that their white pails were Food Grade but other colours, even though the same type of plastic and recycling number, were not food grade.

Steve

Went to all the Lows all the home depots & LHBS no 20 gal. brutes. Had the 32 gal. ones. LHBS shop didn't have any thing over a 7.9 bucket. Went to Wal-Mart and got2 60 quart ice chest. Needed a new ice chest any way. I would have ordered from George but needed it yesterday. But I will definately get a 10 gal. and a 20 gal. one from George in the next few weeks. Cleaned out the deepfreeze to put in a whole beef given to me for 2 cases of wine. I had to cut it up my self but that is no hill for a climer. Any way found 40 lbs. of pie cherries and 12 lbs. choke cherries. Plus 6lbs. Wild grapes. so needed new fermenter since the old one had a hole in it. Will be busy for the next few days.

smiley20.gif
U have work ahead of U

Maybe you should look into some flex tanks if you're gonna start making batches that big. :)

Rubbermaid Brute is a very popular brand. You can buy a 32 gallon rubbermaid brute at Homdepot for 29.99.

You can find them at janitorial supply stores.

Lowes.

Not hard to find

Up date on ice chest fermenter. One big advantage to the ice chest is it realy holds the temp good. The temp of the must has held at a stable 76 dispite the fact the room temp has droped to 64. Then during the day when the room got to 79 it was still at 76 in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back