Primary Container

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
I have been searching for the right primary container. I have been looking for something that is food safe and HDPE. The rubbermaid Brutes at homedepot are food safe but are LDPE. I called rubbermaid and they did not reccomend putting wine in them because of the amount of oxygen they let in. I assume that for a fermentation that wouldn't be a big deal but for longer term storage it would be. I have seen many on here that use them although some claim theirs are HDPE(maybe older models). There are other cheaper ones too, HUSKEE makes an identical garbage can. Anyways I found this
http://www.absorbentsonline.com/Poly-Drums/lab-pack-drums.htm. I am thinking about the 20 gallon version which costs about the same as the Brute with a lid. does anyone use them? they are food safe.Thoughts?

the primary container is used for fermentation only. long term storage should be under glass as in a carboy. stick with the Brutes that are food safe for fermentation.

Brutes are just fine for Primary fermentation where they are only in the fermenter for 7-10 days and then transferred to carboy of sorts. If you want a long term HDPE solution then you need to look at Flextanks or similar for long term storage.

I guess it depends. My red wines I open ferment to 0-1 brix and have used Brutes. My Roses and Whites are under airlock once I inoculate them, so couldn't do that in a Brute.

Back