Need Help! Identifying Demijohn

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find Meadman. Fill'er up.

Julie, you sure are having a tough time keeping everyone in line today. Full Moon? hahaha

Is a tough job Tony, I would send everyone to the corner but they all would have a party and I won't be there!!!!! :ft

Hmm I learned something here today. (But then again, I learn something new here everyday! That's why I love this website.)
I was under the impression that a demijohn was just a larger version of a carboy.A wine supply store that I go to alot is going to start carrying 15 gallon ones this fall. Not good for me.:dg

carboy ;)

Thanks all. Sry, yes a carboy.. And I figured it out. It was made by Owens-Illinois in 73. I wanted to see what the original use of this jug was. Looks like we can get cooking!

Well what stuff is called, probably depends on your language.......

It seems that I'm the only english speaker here ATM. Whereas you lot speak American. If you want to split hairs, American english. Either way, it is a different dialect.

In current parlance, the original picture vessel is the correct shape for what's often termed as demi-john, except it would need two finger loops molded on and be either a half or gallon capacity (that'd be real gallons not those short measures you lot put up with :: ).

The ones shown as balloon shaped with plastic baskets, would generally be thought of as carbouys. Historically they would have had wire mesh baskets lined with straw, the plastic baskets are the updated ones.

Yes carbouys would have contained hazardous material like acids etc. Demi-johns would have generally contained potable liquids......

Yet as the quoted stuff mentioned, the names can be and are interchangeable. So it doesn't really matter does it......

Just get the damn thing cleaned, sanitised and full of something to ferment......:D

Back