Need help identifying a pitted fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure about pears - but had a patio peach tree - produced a lot of peaches - small peaches - about the size of a golf ball. By the time i destoned them - there wasn't much left. So i didn't bother anymore with them. It would have been a lot of work to get enough pounds to make some wine.

So i went out and bought some peaches for $.49 a pound :h

Have you got enough freezer space for them all?

If they are sweet enough at ripening you could also consider making a pear cider (hard or sparkling known as 'perry')

Allie

Edit:
After looking up various orimental pears none of them get as big as the ones on this tree, and all of them are larger trees than this one.

I will keep looking but now I am not so sure.

I do beleive Sirs has it.

So now the next question I will ask and then head off to look for my own answer.

Should I try to make a wine from them?

If so then I own Sirs a bottle when its done.

I'd say go for it if need be wait till they start to fall from tree then grab and growl what can it hurt they do taste like pears only gritty, oh if it is the same ones I'm talking about they have plenty of acid

How big do Nashi pears get when full grown?
These pears (provided that is what they are) are small in size. Not as small as bradford or cleveland pears but small. In the pic you can see they are only a little over an inch long.
Most of the pears that I look up that are edible asian pears are much larger than these are. And the ornimental pears are all smaller than these are.

Do you have a county ag. office? Take a sample of them down there if you do. Bring your pics too. See what they say. Arne.

..... Should I try to make a wine from them?

If so then I own Sirs a bottle when its done......

In this situation, I think the first bottle needs to go to the mother-in-law. Then you sit back and observe to make sure it doesn't have any undesireable effects. :h

In this situation, I think the first bottle needs to go to the mother-in-law. Then you sit back and observe to make sure it doesn't have any undesireable effects. :h

This is a good idea, unfortunatly I would have to find another canidate that my mother-in-law. My brother-in-law would work, hes like mikey anyways, he will try anything, LOL.

hey all mother in laws aren't bad in fact my first one was a really good catch she was just abit old for me at the time LOL

How big do Nashi pears get when full grown?
These pears (provided that is what they are) are small in size. Not as small as bradford or cleveland pears but small. In the pic you can see they are only a little over an inch long.
Most of the pears that I look up that are edible asian pears are much larger than these are. And the ornimental pears are all smaller than these are.

Nashis are usually about the size of an apple, but those are the commercially grown ones, it's not unusual for a wild tree (of any sort) to produce smaller fruit
When Nashi are ripe they are incredibly juicy

The lady at the AG office said that it is in the ornimental pear family. However she said unless she could see the tree, leaves, and something else about it should could not properly identify the specific type. She did say that they would be bitter (they are), and that there really is nothing that could be done with them without a whole lot of trouble.

So making a wine from them is out for me, besides I also found out that because they are on the base where I work I could not pick them anyways.

So on to the next find, well when I find it I will let everyone know, LOL.

....and that there really is nothing that could be done with them.......QUOTE]

They'd make quick and easy ammunition for the sling shot. They'd be hard enough to hurt but wouldn't kill you. Almost like getting shot with one of those police issue bean-bag shotguns.

trust me if they're the ones I think they are once frost hits them they'll get sweet almost nasty sweet but they turn to mush then also

Latest posts

Back