Need help identifying a pitted fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will get some pics later but see if you can help me out by way of a description.

The tree is located in south eastern Virginia (Portsmouth to be exact).
It is only about 8-10 foot tall.
The fruit is about 1 - 1.5 inches in size, color is currently greenish/brown, smooth skin like an apple, the stem is much like an apple, even the bottom is like an apple. Unlike other pitted (stone) fruit it does not have a point on the bottom of the fruit, like before it has more of a bottom like an apple. The meat on the inside is a pale green almost yellow in color. I would not guess that they are ripe yet because they are as hard as a rock right now. The two that I picked an put on the counter have soften up some so I am guessing these will be a soft fruit like a peach or plum when they are ready.
It is also the only tree that I can find with in the small woods like that it is in. I am guessing that it is a self pollenated fruit.
I did not try them yet, being that I am not sure that they are edible, but don't put that past me when they are ripe. (if I suddenly quit posting for a while chances are it wasn't edible and I am either in the hospital or dead)

I will take some pics with my cell phone (dont expect great quality) of the tree and the fruit when I get back out there to do so.

Name that fruit!!!
now its a game show, the winner will get a bottle of wine made from this fruit if its possible

Here are the pics

Fruit on the tree
picture.php

picture.php

Fruit off the tree
picture.php

What the bottom looks like, like I said not the best camera to take pics with
picture.php

hmm - if you cut one open - what does it smell like?

You might be right - they might be wild american plums.

Last edited:
WE have a variety of pears that looks like that.... I'll try to find out what kind.

It smells like some sort of pear. However I have never seen a pear with a pit.
I threw that one away, but when I get home I am going to cut the ones at home open and see what is inside the pit. If it is multiple seeds then I would not call it a pit, but more of a core. That would make it some sorta pear, but for now I still say it has a pit and not multiple seeds.

I saw a bunch of those when we were driving in both NC and SC and wondered what they were. I thought about stopping to check them out but didn't figure my wife or other people in the truck would have appreciated it.

Curious what they are now also. I thought they looked like pears when I saw them.

They are bigger than the bradford pear or the cleveland pear. However everything about them resembles a pear.

I dont know anyone, buler? buler? buler?

Wild pears are one of the few cultivated fruits that once growing outside of an orchard environment can still fruit on their own with minimal care. Trees can be more shrub-like in exposed sites and more timber-like in competition with other trees. Some of the pears have developed resistance against fireblight and in most cases have few insect problems unlike apples. All of them could be used for consumption but most would require some processing to bring out the best flavors. Some of our customers have used the juice to make wine and jelly. The wood on pear is very beautiful and valuable. It is hardness and density makes it useful for musical cabinets and instruments. All are self fertile and grow in a variety of soils except very wet soils. .

I looked up this pear you speak of and found that it is not the same as the one I have.
The Le Conte Pear is about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide. The one I have is just over an inch on the largest ones and may 3/4 of an inch wide. Truthfully they are more round than they are pear shaped.

I don't think that is the correct one, but good try.

I looked up this pear you speak of and found that it is not the same as the one I have.
The Le Conte Pear is about 3 inches long and 2 inches wide. The one I have is just over an inch on the largest ones and may 3/4 of an inch wide. Truthfully they are more round than they are pear shaped.

I don't think that is the correct one, but good try.

See what I read said that they only got up to 2 inches. Well it was a try, maybe we're on the right track.

those are ornamental pears they're a small version of the asian pear

these are everywhere the fruit is brick hard till almost frost then it turns to a mush once it falls from the tree I used to have a monsterous one in my front yard makes good preserves but a real pain never thought to try wine

I think Sirs got it... I looked at those but couldn't find a good pic to be sure.

Edit:
After looking up various orimental pears none of them get as big as the ones on this tree, and all of them are larger trees than this one.

I will keep looking but now I am not so sure.

I do beleive Sirs has it.

So now the next question I will ask and then head off to look for my own answer.

Should I try to make a wine from them?

If so then I own Sirs a bottle when its done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back