need advise, welchs wine quit at 1.020

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjamonkey

Reaction score
I did one gallon batch of Welch's from concentrate. I did 3 cans and 1 cup sugar. Unfortunately forgot to get OG. pitched flieschmanns dry active and had mild ferment for a few days then quit. Tested gravity and got 1.010. So I let it go a few more days and tested and got 1.012. So at that point I racked and repitched 1118 with 1/2 tsp nutrient and 1/4 fermaidk. Let it go two more days with no activity tested today and got 1.020! What the hell! Why is the gravity going up? I did taste it and it seems like it has a lot of alcohol but still very fruity. Did this just finish very fruity or do you think something can get it to ferment dry?

I'm gonna say your starting S.G. was probably pretty high. I made welch wine and I didn't have to add any sugar at all, I actually had to add water to bring it down from 1.116 or something like that

The SG seems to be rising. It went from 1.010 to 1.012 and the last one was 1.020. I don't know.., I think it just finished sweet.

Lol, well i already put it in the fridge to start clearing it. It still tasted well enough to me to drink. But next batch im getting the OG for sure.

Latest posts

Back