Need advice on apple juice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China-Clipper

Reaction score
Hello, I've decided to make 3 gallons of spiced apple wine using the recipe I found on this site and bottled apple juice. I'm not sure what juice I should be looking for. I found Mott's brand 100% fruit juice with no sugar added, from concentrate. There are no preservatives listed on the label. My questions are: "what should I be looking for in a juice that will ferment, and do I still need to use pectic enzyme"?

Thanks in advance, Rick

Mott's should work, I would think..

What you want to avoid are 'benzoate' and 'sorbate' on the ingredients list - they're usually sodium or potassium-based.

Since you're going to spice it, you dont need to worry overly much about having the highest grade apple juice, but when making purer apple-flavored wines, there's ciders that come out in the fall, that still have sediment and such - they're fresh-pressed and only available around harvest time; these work best with more straight-apple wines

Manley, I agree on the fresh juices in the fall. What I'm trying to do is stay ahead of the curve (time curve, that is). I figure a batch of apple spice now will be great by the next fall. I'm going to try dandelion wine in the spring/summer, and will make a few grape kit wines in between. I'll give the Mott's a shot, and hopefully won't screw it up too bad.

I was figuring, that's what you were figuring - the timing works out decently enough, I assumed so :)

Should get your ball rollin', feel free to keep us updated if ya have any more thoughts/questions

I have an Apple-Pear Bochet detailed in my 'Journal', if you get bored with just regular ol' apple concoctions lol

If you live in an area with orchards around you can still get fresh pressed cider if you give them a call. I have a cider fermenting right now that I got from an orchard a week ago. I'm lucky enough to live in pa where we have orchards all over the place.

If you live in an area with orchards around you can still get fresh pressed cider if you give them a call. I have a cider fermenting right now that I got from an orchard a week ago. I'm lucky enough to live in pa where we have orchards all over the place.

Yeah, Same here. I just picked up 6 gallons last night from a local orchard. They pressed the apples for me but they wouldn't agree (for 6 gallons) to press specific kinds of apples. I think I will have to cobble my own press.
But that said, I have made cider from Mott's and have not been overly impressed with the flavor. A spiced version may be much better but that wouldn't be something I would want to explore. A hopped version: now that is another story.

When I started my batch I used half juice and half cider I made a 3 gallon batch here are some pics of it in secondary

What did you use for clearing? I used bentonite in the prmary to hopefully give me a little head start, but I'm up in the air on what I want to use in the secondary in the next day or two when it gets racked out of the primary.

Yeah, Same here. I just picked up 6 gallons last night from a local orchard. They pressed the apples for me but they wouldn't agree (for 6 gallons) to press specific kinds of apples. I think I will have to cobble my own press.
But that said, I have made cider from Mott's and have not been overly impressed with the flavor. A spiced version may be much better but that wouldn't be something I would want to explore. A hopped version: now that is another story.

I haven't tried asking any of the orchards around here to do certain apples. Maybe next year. I'm lucky enough to live about half an hour from Adams county where we have thousands of acres of orchards, so it shouldn't be to difficult to find someone. I just tasted the cider they normally make and though it was great, so I just went with that...

I use super kleer it works the best. My opinion only

I bought a package of 2-stage Super-Kleer K.C. because the guy at the brew shop said it worked best. If I'm using clear apple juice to start with, should it be easier to clear at the end compared with apple juice with the "pulp" still in it?

In my opinion the both clear about the same but the cider gives a better flavor now this is just my opinion.

IMO and experience, if you are using a filtered apple juice like Motts, that is clear coming out of the jug, you don't need a clearing agent. Let it sit. It will clear up just fine, and quickly. Wal Mart offers a store brand juice that works for apple wines, too, and is cheaper.

If you are using apples, be sure to throw in adequate pectic enzyme right away, and they will clear up decently with gravity and time alone, too. But if you are impatient with them, use the clearing agent. Same goes with cloudy ciders.

With any grape or fruit wine (using the actual item), you can quicken the overall clearing time by racking it to a clean sanitized carboy 7-14 days after your first racking. Choose when by how quickly the lees are piling up. Gets rid of a lot of gross lees. Then rack as usual after that.

I have a stock of clearing stuff I bought that I never have used. I've found if you're just busy enough or lazy enough, things will take care of themselves.

Also, when you bottle, if you have 5 gallons or so, set aside two bottles of the dry apple wine right off the carboy. Put them somewhere for 18 months minimum and open them then.

With the rest, you can stabilize and back flavor with frozen apple concentrate and sugar to raise your taste level. Taking the first 2 bottles dry allows headspace in your clean bottling carboy for additions. Arne is a fan of using a tiny drop of real vanilla or using a vanilla bean in secondary, and after having some of his wine, that does work well, too.

But when you get back to that aged dry apple wine, I think you might be amazed at how good it tastes. I was when I set aside a couple bottles. It went in nasty tasting and came out tasting heavenly. I could not believe how good it was dry. Worth trying with 2 bottles. See what you think.

One thing I'm trying out with this cider that may (or may not) help with the flavor of bottled juice is using apple skins in the primary. I put about 2 lbs of gala apple skins and about 1 1/2 lbs of pear skins into the primary. I also used cranberries and oak to try to add some more layers.

I am going to do a couple bottles dry, I live dry reds so I'm interested to see how all the fruit comes back out with the cider after a couple years. Maybe I'll do two batches next year, one semi-sweet and one dry.

Rather than completely dry, you might want to sweeten it ever so slightly. My wife and I made 9 gallons of strawberry this summer and sweetened the 3 gallon batch just to 1.006, which most competitions call dry. That tastes and smells just like eating a strawberry. Completely dry did not taste so good. Just something for you to think about, when the time comes.

Well, I decided to change over to apple cider as opposed to the Mott's apple juice. I picked up three gallons of pasteurized 100% apple cider (not from concentrate) with no preservatives and will use that for this batch. According to the label, the only thing added is Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). I'm really looking forward to starting this batch, I just need to pick up a few more items and I'm off to the races! I really do appreciate all the comments here; I have already learned a ton of information in the past few days. :D

Update

Well, my apple wine has a SP of 0.991 (adjusted for temp). I just degassed it in the carboy and hope to add Potassium Metabisulfate and Potassium Sorbate along with the Super-Kleer. I'm having trouble deciding how much of the sulfate and sorbate to use. This is a 5-gallon batch. The label on the jar of K-sulfate says to use 2 tbs/gallon, and the sorbate says to use 1/2 tsp/gallon. Does this sound right? I hate to screw it up this late in the game.
Thanks in advance! :slp

I only use about a quarter tsp of the sulfite when I rack. As for the sorbate, since you got it to pretty near dry right now I wouldn't add that until you get it cleared and decide to back sweeten. If you age it for a little and decide it doesn't need sweetened you can skip that.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I use 1/4 tsp metabisulphite per six gallon batch and I use 1/4 tsp per gallon of the sorbate.

Latest posts

Back