Other Need a Cab Recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog_kidd

Reaction score
My son is getting married July of next year, and his fiance told me that she would like me to make some wine for the wedding. I figured I'd get started now and have plenty of time for the wine to age.

She is partial to Cab/Sav, so that is what I would like to make for them.

Can someone recommend a moderately priced kit that would be good a year from now?

Can you define "moderately priced"? I haven't made one yet (but I will soon), but from my reading, it's tough to beat the Cellar Craft Showcase Red Mountain Cab.

I agree with Boatboy on the Cellar Craft kit. Another you might try is RJS's Winery Series Cabernet Sauvignon with Cab grape skins. Either would be great. Problem is Cab Sauv is very popular (high demand) and you know what that means on price. As Winemaker cautions, I would get working on it sooner rather than later.

I agree with winemaker. Two years would be better for a good Cab. One year is pushing it. IMO

I would define "moderate" at maybe just under $100.

OK, so if a cab is still too young at one year, is there anything else in that flavor style (dark and dry) that might be really good at one year? Merlot perhaps? There will be other store bought wine at the wedding so its not like they will depend on it, but I want this wine to be nice. I thought I would make up labels with their picture on it. I might also sneak in a bottle or two of Skeeter Pee just for fun.

I found the we world vineyard Cal. Pinot to be very good, $75/kit from southernbrew. I bulk aged with extra oak. Good at 6 mo should be excellent at 1 yr. Read the reviews @ midwestsupplies.com Making my second kit now.

The WE Cal. Trinity and the WE VR Zin/Cab are pretty good at 6 mo as well.

Thanks, that Wine Expert Pinot looks like it might be a good option. Might give that a try.

You might consider the "Legacy" brand of Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a 6-week, 16 liter kit made by Vineco. The entire Legacy brand is designed to be good "early" drinkers. So a year old Legacy Cab would be a good choice. It will not pack the body or the tannin profile of the Cellar Craft Red Mtn Cab, but it will certainly taste good enough to serve at the wedding.

We made the RJS Grand Crew international BC Pinot Noir and Cab Sav and found them very good between 6 months and a year. They are both a great table wine grade but were not the rich chewy decadent bottle of wine you can purchase. I've not done a cab kit with a grape pack but suspect that it would not be ready in a year.

Back