Mystery fruit? (Ugly quince?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froeschli

Reaction score
I got them because I thought the may just be ugly quinces?
But they have a pith, not a core (ok, I was 8 last time we had a quince tree, but I thought they had a core...)
Anyhow, anyone able to tell me what it is?
Just boiling them up now to see if they develop any flavour (a bit potato-like when raw).

image-1557303417.jpg

quince has a core and very dark seeds,and more yellow then green when fully ripen...not sure what the heck that is.

Yup, I've come to that same conclusion... It doesn't smell bad when cooked, almost in the right neighbourhood (somewhere between apple and pear I'd say).
Ah well, there I thought I'd scored 12 quinces for the price of 2. So much for quince jelly.
Now I may just have to use this as base for my chili wine.... :p

Mystery solved. Apparently it's a chayote. Relative to melons and squash, native to Mexico.
Used in stews, soups, salsas, salads, or broiled.

Can't find a recipe for chayote wine, but hey, what else am I going to do with 6lbs of them? :p
(DH came home, had a look, asked "you're not going to make wine with this, are you?")

They sell these in our little local supermarket in rural Missouri. They are readily available here.

jamesngalveston said:
your in ontario, where you get them from...

Fortino's had them on the 99cent rack.... Else they would have been labelled :p

cmason1957 said:
Why shouldn't you try to ferment them? They aren't moving, are they?

Not moving (or furry, yet). Thy apparently contain a lot of starch, so I need to get some amylase.

I took the water from boiling them, added 1 can of welch's grape concentrate, some lemon juice and two jalapeños. Some sugar too, I think (it was a midnight wine experiment, again).
Pitched some yeast in it today.
Only had a 3l carboy left, that's why I didn't leave the solid stuff in it, and I am not going to use my plastic primary on jalapeños....
Now it's wait and see...

Latest posts

Back