my wine looks weird!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wine is not a kit its a recipe out of a book that came with the equipment kit. "vintiners best" kit.
I put the hydrometer directly into the must and gave it a spin like it said to get out air bubbles it never said anything about
calibrating it.

If it is not calibrated, that will only be off a little, at this point it is more important to learn how to read it. Get a test jar, put must into that to get a reading.

And like I say, a wine recipe is ONLY a guidance NOT a rule. To make a fruit wine, use at least 5# of fruit per gallon, have a sg of around 1.080, check your acid and add acid blend if needed, add tannin if needed, add yeast nutrient, k-meta, wait 24 hours add yeast. Normally I use Lavlin 1122 for fruit wines.

Stir daily, rack to carboy when sg is below 1.010 or snap down the lid and add an airlock at this point and let it ferment to dry.

To backsweeten your wine, make sure you add k-meta and sorbate first, wait at least a day, some wait a week, then I take some of the wine from the carboy and add sugar to that, warm it up to dissolve the sugar, add back, taste, if you like it, take a reading so you know what sweet level you like to be able to do this another time.

Thank you Julie, I bought an acid test and I am going to check it. I opened up the primary fermenter this morning and to my surprise the cap of foam was gone not sure what that means so I tested it again and this time it is at 1.060 down from 1.090 of yesterday I think it will be ok because I was unsure how to read the hydrometer the 1st time I checked it I also didn't check until the yeast was in from now on I will date and test everything and write it down. I tasted it as well and its not as sweet as it was before but still
has a strong strawberry flavor. I have faith that everything will work out I'm not going to stress I'm gonna keep reading and learning all I can. again thanks for all the help!

Hi again, I have a question my strawberry wine went down to >1000 sg yesterday so I racked it to the carboy leaving the les behind but it didn't
completely fill the carboy, its like 4 inches below where it should be at this point will it harm anything? will it cause oxidation? I plan to
top it off with pure strawberry extract when it arrives.
thank you!

it's still actively fermenting so I shouldn't have oxidation right? when the fermenting slows/stops then I top off right?
here's a picture.
IMG_1254.jpg

As long as you have that airlock on there the only thing in your carboy is going to be CO2 so I don't usually even top off until I rack.

FYI, Something I've found that works great for backsweetening strawberry is the Frozen Bacardi Strawberry Daiquiri Mixer. You can get it at the supermarket.

You are having the exact same problem i had 2 months ago with my apple/raisin wine :b

Anyhow, it is fine to leave a little head space in the bottle now, because there is a layer of carbon dioxide protection to prevent oxidation. Your problem comes later after a few months when your fermentation has died down and oxidation becomes a real problem.

Here you have a few options.

1. Use a smaller bottle
2. Add water/fruit juice/another wine
3. Use glass marbles (A wise member of this forum told me this, works very well!)

About the wine turning out to be of high alcohol value. Taste it first and see if it is drinkable. If its good, just drink it lol. If it isn't do not throw it away. Just keep it for the future when you make other wines and you can some blending of your own. (Perhaps for topping up).

Your book has the same problem as I had, i.e. from jack keller's wine making. They become of high alcohol and very dry in the end.

Good Advise, both the strawberry and skeeter pee are drinkable I didn't have the strawberry completely filled when I made it so I read about people using extract to top off and boost the flavor I will back sweeten both the strawberry and pee we like wine that is semisweet. The strawberry is gonna take a while to clear I can see that now, while the pee is clearing nicely. I haven't used sparkleloid in the strawberry yet but I know I will be racking it many times before its all said and done.
IMG_1286.jpg

I'm sipping on a tiny sample of the strawberry and it tastes just like strawberry short cake
it's good I feel a lil warm and fuzzy:)

wow, that is an amazing color! somehow my pink guava wine turned out yellow after the whole fermentation process, was even thinking of adding rosella flowers for extra color.

is that all natural? btw can I please have your recipe :D

yes its all natural, I didnt add any coloring, it tastes great however it is high octane and I'm having problems getting it to clear. the recipe I used was out of a book and it was unclear about how much sugar to add "I like semi sweet wine" which boosted the ABV from the get go. I also made the mistake of sending about a 3rd of the strawberries through the blender that ended up leaving way too much sediment behind even though it was in the mesh bag in the primary so from now on I will freeze the fruit and squeeze it by hand to keep that from happening again I realize freeze and squeeze wont prevent all the sediment but it will keep it from happening to this extent. I will look though the book and post the recipe. as you can see from the picture above the berry skeeter pee is well on its way to clearing but the strawberry remains the same even after racking 3 times. I have read strawberry can be difficult to get clear but I still plan to rack until it does even if it takes 6 months:)

Looks great, cindy! I can't wait to check mine when I get home! My two batches of Dragon Blood have been clearing for a week. :h

Looks great, cindy! I can't wait to check mine when I get home! My two batches of Dragon Blood have been clearing for a week. :h

yes the SP is clearing nicely I racked it sunday and added the metabisulfite,sorbate,sparkloid and degasses thoughly today I can see
light shinning through it. the SP will sit undisturbed a couple weeks before I rack it again. however the strawberry is another issue it's a nice color but it has a lot of sediment and it seems that it doesn't want to clear so my plan is to keep racking, my question is how much and how often can I use sparkloid to help it clear? as far as taste go's its awesome! it would be ashame if I can't get it to clear:ft
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back