My very first kit (step by step)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thiago

Reaction score
So here is my first kit ever - Winexpert Amarone

Please feel free to send your suggestions :h

7/7/16 @9:00pm

Clean all equipment with PBW and sanitize with Metabisulfite solution
Add 500ml warm water in the fermenter and disolve the Bentonite
16L juice back + grape skin pack (free range) + 2 cups of organic raisins (stir good)
SG 1.100
Added 2 packs of the Hungarian oak + 3g Tannins complex
Pitch the yeast that came with the kit - RC 212 (2 packs)
Must temp 74F Room temp 74F

7/8/16 @11:30am

Fermentation started (airlock bubbling)
Must temp 74F
Room temp 72F

7/9/16 @7:00am

Strong fermentation !
Not a whole lot of cap formed, gave a good stir.
Lots of CO2
Must temp 74F
Room temp 74F

7/10/16 @7:36am

Beautiful cap formed, punch down and stir the must
Lots of CO2
Raisins completed full
Must temp 76F
Room temp 73F
SG 1.065

@8:40pm

Punch the cap
Must temp 78F (too high) Drop room temp and turn ceiling fan on !
Room temp 73F
SG 1.050

IMG_2926.JPG

Last edited:
7/11/16 @8:40pm

Punch down the cap
Must temp 76F - still higher than what I would like but not easy to make wine in the Arizona summer :h
Room temp 74F
SG 1.022 - time for chaptalization
350ml hot water , dissolve the chaptalization packs and add to the must
Stir good for couple minutes
SG 1.038

IMG_2924.JPG

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I always thought that chaptalization was done prior to pitching yeast.

Your must temp is just fine. No need to cool it. It's not unusual for it to reach low 80s, that's normal and just fine.

I could be wrong, but I always thought that chaptalization was done prior to pitching yeast.

I've just follow the instructions. I guess in this case (Amarone) the chaptalization is done to increase the final ABV.

Maybe someone with more experience could comment on this?!

It is typically done in the early stages, sometimes if the SG is high it can cause some yeast stress getting started. Abundance of caution, kit makers have you get the fermentation going strong, sugar levels drop a bit, then add in the chap pack. It probably would work just fine if it were done up front, but follow the instructions.

7/12/16 @9:50

Punch down the cap
Must temp 74F
Room temp 73F
SG 1.020

7/13/16 @8:30pm

Punch down the cap
Must temp 74F
Room temp 74F
SG 1.010 - Time to rack the wine into the secondary carboy

Clean and sanitize equipment
Siphon the wine into the carboy
Using the brewers bag I press the grape skins and raisins
Added 2oz of french oak med toast cubes into the carboy
Airlock and put it away - Now wait :ft

Time to start another kit????:HB

IMG_2946.JPG

It is typically done in the early stages, sometimes if the SG is high it can cause some yeast stress getting started. Abundance of caution, kit makers have you get the fermentation going strong, sugar levels drop a bit, then add in the chap pack. It probably would work just fine if it were done up front, but follow the instructions.

When I did this kit, my SG got to about 1.02 (IIRC) before I chapitalized. Then I fermented down below 1.000, transferred to a secondary and finished this one at 0.992.

When I did this kit, my SG got to about 1.02 (IIRC) before I chapitalized. Then I fermented down below 1.000, transferred to a secondary and finished this one at 0.992.

I have the same experience with the kits I've done that have you chapitalize after fermentation is underway, pretty seamless, just add the pack, stir it in and record the SG, and let it roll til it's done. No need to tempt fate by changing it.

I chaptalize mine at SG 1.022 , it went up to SG 1.038. But only 2 days latter was down to 1.010 (according to instructions on the kit I should rack at 1.010) so I "press" the grape skins and rack into a carboy.

Did I press of the skins and racked to early??

I check it today (5days after racking) still putting out CO2 and SG .998. But it tasted really thin and kinda "carbonated" (champagne like)

Did I already mess this up lol ??:?

I chaptalize mine at SG 1.022 , it went up to SG 1.038. But only 2 days latter was down to 1.010 (according to instructions on the kit I should rack at 1.010) so I "press" the grape skins and rack into a carboy.

Did I press of the skins and racked to early??

I check it today (5days after racking) still putting out CO2 and SG .998. But it tasted really thin and kinda "carbonated" (champagne like)

Did I already mess this up lol ??:?

Nope, you did just fine. It tastes carbonated because it is loaded with CO2. The taste and aroma will develop further as you age your wine.

Just keep following along with the instructions, they'll take you right through the process. If you have any questions or doubts as you go along, jump on the forum, somebody will help you along.

Nope, you did just fine. It tastes carbonated because it is loaded with CO2. The taste and aroma will develop further as you age your wine.

Just keep following along with the instructions, they'll take you right through the process. If you have any questions or doubts as you go along, jump on the forum, somebody will help you along.

Thank you very much !! The people here on this forum have been extremely helpful !! Glad I joined !!:h

Latest posts

Back