My version of the enolmatic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at the tube you show and there is no reason why is would not work, the tube is slides into if it has hole also, would just require a bolt thru the holes to adjust the height. With a base, even out of wood to hold your tubes and you are off and running.

Many ways possible to accomplish the same result................. Michael.

Hello, no I have not made any changes as it works as I hoped. It is adjustable vertically for bottles of different heights. Works good and extremely simple to make. My work flow, after wine has cleared, is that I will, using vacuum pump, vacuum wine from carboy, filter the wine, and bottle the wine all at the same time. I have included a picture of my work flow for you to see. Hope it helps you.

Michael.

Wow! Terrific setup! Wondering what brand and model of filter you use? And what diameter tubing? I have a Gomco vacuum pump and am looking to do a nice setup like you have accomplished. Thanks again!

Filter is 5 micron made by iSpring and I buy them in bulk, 50 in a box. The filter body I bought at a local business that sells plumbing supplies, you can pick up the filter body anywhere, even from members of Wine Making Talk, just do a search. The tubing is 1/2 inch tubing, you can go smaller if you want, just buy the correct size adapter that threads onto the filter body to accept the tubing.

Good luck and have fun.................Michael.

I will add also, in regards to filters. I will filter 2 batches of wine, that is the same type of wine with 1 new, unused filter then I throw that filter away. I do not rinse and keep them. If I have more than 2 batches to do, which is not very often in my case, I then use a 2nd new and clean filter to do the next 2 batches of wine. In most instances though I very seldom have more than 2 carboys of wine to filter and bottle, so like I said, 1 new filter for 2 batches and then in the garbage goes the filter. If I am doing 1 batch of wine it is the same procedure, I filter that 1 batch with 1 new filter and then throw the filter away when done filtering that batch. They are very inexpensive to buy, especially when you buy bulk. That is how I do things.

Filter is 5 micron made by iSpring and I buy them in bulk, 50 in a box. The filter body I bought at a local business that sells plumbing supplies, you can pick up the filter body anywhere, even from members of Wine Making Talk, just do a search. The tubing is 1/2 inch tubing, you can go smaller if you want, just buy the correct size adapter that threads onto the filter body to accept the tubing.

Good luck and have fun.................Michael.

I see other members using 1 micron filters. Since I have not previously filtered my wine (made from kits), I would appreciate understanding your perspective on using 5 micron vs 1 micron filters.

Thanks again...Bob

A few weeks ago I ran some trials on cartridge filters. You have to really have a wine full of solids that never had a chance to settle out for it to do anything. I filter everything with a .45 micron filter.

Looking at pictures of peoples bottle filler they made I decided to order the nozzle and made one for my use at home. I used it for the first time this week at bottling time. I both filtered the wine using whole house and bottled directly at same time. It went very well. This was all a result of reading along peoples discussions and seeing photos and then going ahead with that information and trying it myself.

I was getting ready to buy the complete nozzle with levers and spring from stpats. I see they also sell a lever knob and closing roller for $4 each. But I'm wondering what type of bolt you used to attached the nozzle to your 1 x 1 tube?

Thanks! Bob

Fiftyoon there are people here with years of experience making wine and you gain lots of knowledge by reading their posts. Runningwolf has much more experience than I. I started learning wine making when I retired in Fall of 2013. That is why I became a member of Wine Making Talk, to read what people have to say and learn. If you look you can find on the internet many posts that get into detail about the chemistry of wine and filtering. Some don't agree with filtering and others do. Some of my wine I filter and bottle end up still having some settling in the bottle, not all batches, all of the time, but sometimes. I am willing, when my filters I have run out, to try the .45 micron filters for myself and see the results for myself.
The bolt you asked about is a plain bolt I found at home, 5/16" and I cut it to length to fit. Good Luck......... Michael

DSC_4175.jpg

DSC_4176.jpg

DSC_4177.jpg

DSC_4178.jpg

DSC_4179.jpg

Michael, that filler is awesome. I would love to have one like that only with 2-3 fillers all on the same plate. When I sad I only use .45 filters it also has to be understood that my wine is clear and sediment free. If you still have any solids or sediment floating around you will need to go with a filter of larger microns. I your wine is clear you'll see a huge difference in brilliance going down to a .45.

There is conversion about stripping color or flavor. If you dump the first 2-3 bottles back into the carboy, you will not see this.

Michael...thanks so much for the close up pictures. They are really helpful. The nozzle assembly I ordered from stpats has been shipped, and I will be talking this weekend with a friend who has welding skills. Thanks again!

You are welcome Fiftyoon and Runningwolf, thanks for your comment.
Post a picture when you are done your filler so we can have a look at it.
You will like the filler, easy to get used to using and fast to bottle.
Michael.

Fiftyoon, one last thing. To make bottling trouble free I added onto the tubing that comes from the outlet side of filter body to the filler unit
a valve that is right at fingers length to control the flow and shut off the wine entering the bottle. I purchased this at a Lowe's store in their
plumbing section. You can purchase this item almost at any hardware store, Home Depot is another example. It is 1/2" in size and I bought
threaded barbs to thread on each side of control valve, pushed on the tubing and held in place with clamp and I taped over with electrical tape
to cover the metal clamps, as you can see in the 3 pictures I added. It really helps while you are bottling the wine.

Michael.

DSC_4181.jpg

DSC_4183.jpg

DSC_4184.jpg

I received my enolmatic filler nozzle from stpats. Whew! $22 shipping really surprised me. FYI for others considering that option. Anyway, I noticed the size of the inlet at the top is extremely small diameter, like 1/16". Is that the intended way it's to be used? Also, my friend should have my filler stand completed by this weekend. I'll post a picture when finished. Thanks to michael-s for the great design and assistance.

I received my enolmatic filler nozzle from stpats. Whew! $22 shipping really surprised me. FYI for others considering that option. Anyway, I noticed the size of the inlet at the top is extremely small diameter, like 1/16". Is that the intended way it's to be used? Also, my friend should have my filler stand completed by this weekend. I'll post a picture when finished. Thanks to michael-s for the great design and assistance.

Did you check Presque Isle Wine Cellars? They sell tons of those nozzles and have free shipping.

That is where you connect the tubing that comes from your vacuum pump. You have an overflow, right before your vacuum pump where overflow foam and wine is collected, preventing it from entering your vacuum pump. One tubing goes from your vacuum pump to that collector of liquid. A second tubing goes from that collector and connects to the filler nozzle.
You can see that clearly in the picture I added where I show my entire workflow from drawing cleared wine from the carboy, thru the filter body to filter the wine and then thru the filler nozzle as you bottle your wine.
As you fill your bottles with wine you get some foam and some wine drawn into your overflow. You get less of that as you get used to the process of bottling and I find I can reduce even more controlling the flow with that valve I showed you that I added, enabling me to slow down the flow and stop it completely if I want to.

Attached is a picture of my bottle filler. My friend works in the food industry so he fabricated it using stainless steel. A really terrific job. I included a closeup of the top of the nozzle showing the inlet. The opening is only about 1/16". For those who use this nozzle, is that the way it's used? Thanks again for all the great responses.

IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg

Congratulations, stainless steel, very nice, looking at the welds I would guess Tig Welds. You will appreciate using it at bottling time. Don't forget you will need an overflow container to prevent foam and wine from being drawn into your vacuum pump and causing problems. Finally wine is drawn into your filler from the side, the top is where you connect your vacuum tube from your overflow container which is creating a vacuum.

If I would of had stainless I would of done the same, totally clean looking and maintenance free. I like the cork on the base because it give a cushion for the bottles as you are filling them.
Thanks for posting your pictures...........Michael.

Back