My version of the enolmatic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im pretty sure the wine in that video was also being filtered judging by the amount of foam. I think they had the vacuum set way to high just to show you the video quckly. I know when I use my filler and pump its pure liquid coming out and no foam at all. I keep my vacuum set at about 6" when bottling.

Question on Adjusting Valve

I just completed building my stand around the Enolmatic valve using aluminum parts that I machined, a handfull of stainless screws, nuts and bolts, and a piece of scrap wood. And it works great! The filler quickly fills each bottle, and no mess left behind, unlike my old filler that generated a fine mist of wine and created a giant mess.

I gave it a test run this evening just filling bottles of water, and even though it is working great, it appears that there might be a couple of adjustments that I can make which would make it work even better.

At the top of the valve is a threaded nut that can be adjusted. I played around with that for a while, but really could not tell what it was doing other then creating more downward spring pressure when spinning the nut down. Is that its purpose? If not, what does it do?

The other issue is that some vacuum remains on the filled bottle even after the valve stops filling. It is not a big deal, but is this normal? And finally, when I am not filling a bottle, a small amount of wine still makes its way into the overflow? Both of these issues may be caused by my vacuum pressure being set too high, is that possible? I originally bought the bottle filling kit from allinone, and that came with a nice valve to control the vacuum, I plan to put that into the loop tomorrow to experiement with reducing the amount of vacuum to see if that helps either issue.

But even with those issues, I am very happy with this setup!. I bought the complete valve for $55 shipped to my door, and it along with a scrap piece of wood and about $20 worth of aluminum has generated a decent filler for well under $100!

I highly recommend this project for others who want to make bottling enjoyable rather then a nightmare. ;-)

I wanted to have an automatic bottle filler but I didn't want to shell out $375.00 for one. So I decided to make my own. Since I already had a vacuum pump all I needed was the nozzle. I got the nozzle, lever and spring for around $75.00. Making the stand to hold it took a little creativity and time, but it was worth it. You can adjust the height for different sized bottles. It works just as good as the original enolmatic (from what I've seen of the videos of it) for a fraction of the price. It sure saves alot of time compared to the Ferrari Automatic Bottle Filler that I used to use.

I just completed building my stand around the Enolmatic valve using aluminum parts that I machined, a handfull of stainless screws, nuts and bolts, and a piece of scrap wood. And it works great! The filler quickly fills each bottle, and no mess left behind, unlike my old filler that generated a fine mist of wine and created a giant mess.

I gave it a test run this evening just filling bottles of water, and even though it is working great, it appears that there might be a couple of adjustments that I can make which would make it work even better.

At the top of the valve is a threaded nut that can be adjusted. I played around with that for a while, but really could not tell what it was doing other then creating more downward spring pressure when spinning the nut down. Is that its purpose? If not, what does it do?

The other issue is that some vacuum remains on the filled bottle even after the valve stops filling. It is not a big deal, but is this normal? And finally, when I am not filling a bottle, a small amount of wine still makes its way into the overflow? Both of these issues may be caused by my vacuum pressure being set too high, is that possible? I originally bought the bottle filling kit from allinone, and that came with a nice valve to control the vacuum, I plan to put that into the loop tomorrow to experiement with reducing the amount of vacuum to see if that helps either issue.

But even with those issues, I am very happy with this setup!. I bought the complete valve for $55 shipped to my door, and it along with a scrap piece of wood and about $20 worth of aluminum has generated a decent filler for well under $100!

I highly recommend this project for others who want to make bottling enjoyable rather then a nightmare. ;-)

How about a picture or two of what you built.

I put one together last year from stuff laying around also. It was a fun project.

RR

I think by putting the release valve that came with your bottling setup will help - let us know when you do so

BTW - I hope you have that displayed somewhere that everyone can see it !! I'm thinking the Living Room !!

Last edited:
Still happy with the setup? did you change anything, I'm thinking to built one, what a great jod you did. Thank you

Looking at pictures of peoples bottle filler they made I decided to order the nozzle and made one for my use at home. I used it for the first time this week at bottling time. I both filtered the wine using whole house and bottled directly at same time. It went very well. This was all a result of reading along peoples discussions and seeing photos and then going ahead with that information and trying it myself.

_DSC9102.jpg

jamesngalveston .......1" square tube on top and 1 1/4" square tube on bottom, along with a 6" wide x 1/4" thick flat bar, 12" long for the base. A cut to shape piece of cork glued to the base to give a nice cushion for the bottles. Yes, with a mig welder, good eye. :)

Thanks sour_grapes. Based on what someone else has thankfully shared with us here.

The tube lengths I went with jamesngalveston are 9" bottom and 15" top, but I want to say those lengths are not set in stone, you can make those longer if you might have extra tall bottles. I don't use large bottles just regular 750 ml bottles so this setup gives me the height I need along with 6" of adjustable height for other height bottles, if I need to. If you may want to make one for yourself I drew on paper the dimensions of what I made for myself, along with a picture with bottle on unit in normal setup and 2nd with nozzle adjusted to maximum height to give you an idea of scale.
I included those 3 pics for you.

Scan.jpg

_DSC9103.jpg

_DSC9105.jpg

thanks for taking the time to post that...i will make one this week..
my buddy owns a machine shop, which i can work in freely.
appreciate it.

jamesngalveston .......1" square tube on top and 1 1/4" square tube on bottom, along with a 6" wide x 1/4" thick flat bar, 12" long for the base. A cut to shape piece of cork glued to the base to give a nice cushion for the bottles. Yes, with a mig welder, good eye. :)

michael-s...I really like your design. After using it for a while, have you made or would you suggest any changes? Thanks again for sharing!

Hello, no I have not made any changes as it works as I hoped. It is adjustable vertically for bottles of different heights. Works good and extremely simple to make. My work flow, after wine has cleared, is that I will, using vacuum pump, vacuum wine from carboy, filter the wine, and bottle the wine all at the same time. I have included a picture of my work flow for you to see. Hope it helps you.

Michael.

_DSC9371.jpg

Back