My Trip to Debonne Vineyard (lots of pics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Saturday I went to a local vineyard, Debonne, to take a wine making class (I will post another topic about the class because I have a bunch of questions, just no time to type them out.) Anyway, here is a bunch of pics that I took while there. Enjoy.

debonne015.jpg

debonne023.jpg

debonne020.jpg

debonne019.jpg

debonne018.jpg

debonne017.jpg

debonne016.jpg

debonne012.jpg

debonne011.jpg

Wine Celler^
debonne010.jpg

debonne009.jpg

debonne008.jpg

debonne007.jpg

debonne005.jpg

debonne004.jpg

debonne003.jpg

debonne002.jpg

debonne001.jpg

I go there every year for grape in the heart of wine country for the state of Ohio.

Nice pictures Scubaman. What variety of grapes are those? I see they use mechanical pickers. They would almost have to, growing 110 acres of vines. That type of wind machine is the same as they have used for apples here in the Champlain Valley for fourty years now. They are pretty effective in keeping late frosts from settling out in low lying areas.

What type of class are you taking there?

I have to commend you for your learning. Do you hope to go into the viticulture field soon?

appleman said:
What type of class are you taking there?

I have to commend you for your learning. Do you hope to go into the viticulture field soon?

I just took a general wine making class, intro type stuff. I have to say though that if that was my first class and I had never read anything about winemaking before I probley would have never started. the guy who tought the class was the founder of the local wine club there (Vintners in Northeast Ohio - VINO) He went way to fast and started to advanced for beginner wine makers. He didnt really bother to explain what SG or brix is, the book he made and handed out had typos throughout (i am going to scan the book's pages he gave out and post them here if you guys care to see them). However, I have done a tone of reading on here and at home with books from the library so I was at least able to follow for the most part. What do you mean by viticulture field? Also, I have some more pics of the wind thing if you want them.

Debonne mostly do riesling, chardonnay, pinot gris and cabernet franc. Most of thier grapes are concord, but they are starting to plant more vinifera grapes.

http://www.debonne.com/
go there to find out where they are located excalty, but they are located in south madison, right of 528.

You will find a lot of times the most knowledgable people make the worst teachers. They assume people know certain things already(how I'm not sure).

Viticulture (from the Latin word for vine) is the science, production and study of grapes which deals with the series of events that occur in the vineyard. When the grapes are used for winemaking, it is also known as viniculture. It is one branch of the science of horticulture.

While the native territory of Vitis Vinifera is a band of area from Western Europe to the Persian shores of the Caspian Sea, the vine has demonstrated high levels of adaptability and will sometimes mutate to accommodate a new environment after its been introduced. Because of this Viticulture can be found on every continent except Antarctica.<SUP =reference id=_ref-Johnson_pg_17-19_0>[1]</SUP>

Duties of the Viticulturalist include: monitoring and controlling pests and diseases, fertilizing, irrigation, canopy management, monitoring fruit development and characteristics, deciding when to harvest and vine pruning during the winter months. Viticulturalists are often intimately involved with winemakers, because vineyard management and the resulting grape characteristics, provide the basis from which winemaking can begin.
Here is another word for you- you may already know it, but if not here it is:
Enology

Oenology (BrE) or enology (AmE) is the science and study of all aspects of wine and winemaking from the grape harvest to bottle. An expert in the field of oenology is known as an oenologist, but can also be a winemaker.

The name is derived from the Greek term, oenos (οίνος), which means wine, and the suffix -logy (from the Greek λόγος, meaning speech or study).

I cant say that I will dive that deep into it, but I will definitely keep this as a hobby and see where it goes from there. Anything about wine I cant get my hands on I have been reading.

Scuba:
I'm actually currently working on my two year college degree in Viticulture and Enology (its an Applied Sciences degree).

One good book that I have found useful is From Vines to Wines by Jeff Cox.

The classes are giving me a lot of theory and a lot of infomration that's more specific to the wine industry in Texas which is cool. What works in California won't necessarily work here because of our heat.

The University of California at Davis offers some online courses as they relate to the Wine Industry. Itook an intro class with them when I started this about two years ago.

Keep in mind that classes like this teach a lot of theory that you then sorta have to convert to "home wine making". For example Brix vs. Specific Gravity.

Brix is the measurement of sugar in the grape and as mentioned above a refractomer is used to detemine the sugar. This is important when a wine maker is about to take ownership of grapes from their grower since the maker and grower may have an agrement in place ("I'll pay you $x amout per ton if your grapes are Xdegree Brix").

For the home winemaker its simply easier to work with Specific Gravity since we're dealing with juice that has been "crushed" and we're trying to measure the liquid soluables (i.e. sugar) in the juice.

For example, if you take 2 cups of water, gently heat it and then add 1 cup sugur and then pour the result back into your 2 cup measuring cup, you'll find the liquid won't fit because the soluables have increased the volume.

Probably more info than you wanted to know!

smiley9.gif

P.S. Great pics! Thanks for posting them!Edited by: bovinewines

bovine, good luck with your degree, sounds like you enjoy it.

I have actually read that book you recommend, smurfe also recommended it to me early. It is actually sitting on my desk right now. It was a very helpful book, especially about the vines as I have concord grapes growing in my backyard.

Back