WineXpert My Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
Thought I would provide an update. We're on day 11 of the stabilising and clearing stage.
Here are the pics...as you can see...its still a little hazy. I was planning on leaving the wine in the carboy for another couple of weeks before I bottle...didn't know if I should simply try and wait it out or should I consider adding the superkleer stuff. What is the superkleer stuff anyway? I picked some up last weeked on my shopping binge...but don't know much about it.

As always...I'm grateful for your time!

20071009_190841_Imported_Photos.JPG

20071009_190930_Imported_Photos.JPG

20071009_191021_Imported_Photos.JPG

SuperKleer is a fining agent in 2 parts which I m sure you know. Part one is Kieselol is liquid silicone dioxide and part 2 is Chitosan which a bioadhesive material derived from shrimp shells and other crustaceans but dont worry if you are allergic to seafood as the proteins are negate and non existent. Chitosan readily binds to negatively charge d particles while Kieselsol binds to positive and thats what makes this product so great. Others mostly bind to 1 or the other whil SuperKleer attaches to both. This product works quickly and efficiently and does a great job and not sure why all manufactures dont use this product. Id give it more time and if need be rack off sediment and use Superkleer as this product does not need all the sediment to work as others do and thats another bonus of this product.

Looks like it is coming along well, let us know how the superkleer works if you decide to use it.

I'd just rack it, wait 2 to 3 weeks and then consider using superkleer. You have quite a bit of compact lees there, so a racking will help to clear it some more.

bovinewines,

I just put SuperKleer in a Sauv Blanc that looked like it was slow to clear. The next day........Sparkling clear wine. You will love it.

Ramona

I also need to filter the wine (uh oh...someone wasn't exactly sure how to use the wine degasser and the drill...can you say "little plastic shavings"?).

So I would:
Rack off the lees to a clean/sanitized carboy.
Wait another week (or two)
If no clearing then add the SuperKleer
Once clear, filter
Once filtered, bottle

Sound about right?

Latest posts

Back