My first wine kit arrived today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. Lots of great advice so far.

I made the Lodi Cab a couple years ago. Still have a few bottles left. It's just getting to that "wow" point for me.

Best advice anyone can give you: Make more.

I'd also suggest that, once you get comfortable with your wine making abilities, take a look at the threads on extended maceration.

I started out making one batch at a time - I now tend to hover around 7, just because I'm space-limited. During harvest times that can increase a bit. Bottom line, it seems to take the pressure off if you're making several things, so you're not drinking wines before their time. For reds that can be consumed early, Bergamais is one, I have also consumed red blends earlier.

I started out making one batch at a time - I now tend to hover around 7, just because I'm space-limited. During harvest times that can increase a bit. Bottom line, it seems to take the pressure off if you're making several things, so you're not drinking wines before their time. For reds that can be consumed early, Bergamais is one, I have also consumed red blends earlier.
7 at one time?? That's space limited? Wow, I need your space! I have a large garage, but it's not air conditioned, so this time of year with the outside temps in the 90's, the garage hovers around 80-85%. I don't think that would work. Maybe later in the year I could start another batch or two out there. Of course the Harley, the golf cart, the kids moped and workout stuff are all in the garage....the cars stay outside. LOL. But there's room for the wine making equipment if the temps are right.

I've decided to begin my wine making experience with this Eclipse Cabernet kit. I went with the Cab since I prefer bigger, bolder wines. And, I liked the fact that it has skins with this one. I ordered oak chips and some tannin, "just in case it needed some extra ummph!

Now, I'm just waiting on my equipment kit so I can get this baby started!

View attachment 49647

Enjoy your Eclipse. Have made about 8 batches and everyone enjoys. Never bothered tweeking but maybe on the next one will try. Also blend Merlot to make Meritage

So...now I’m ready. I think. I got this today but didn’t have time to open it yet. I’ll unbox everything in the next day or so and hope to get that first batch going asap! I did order a Fontana Merlot kit that was cheap and had free shipping on Amazon. It arrived today as well. Y’all get ready for a bunch of questions!!IMG_0455.jpg

Back