My first time racking to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
Well, I did my first racking to secondary today. I am doing the Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet kit. I waited (and waited) until the SG was 1.010 like the kit said. Yes, I raised the alcohol level in the beginning. I wanted to be able to age about 7 bottles for many years. Anyway, I left the sediment in the bottom of the bucket like the instructions said. There was about 8 ounces of liquid left. I drank it. Yep, I did. I now understand what body is. It lacked body. I am going to assume that this comes with age. Of course the F-Pack is still several days away. I guess thats part of the body too? I did manage to get a little buzz so I guess it dont take long to acually become wine.

Side note. I went to our local "Specs" liquor store and picked up a couple bottles of wine. I just had a glass of wine from a company called "Wimberley Valley Wines". The wine is called Texas Country Cellars Sweet Red Table Wine. Very nice. It even had legs. Yep, I learned "legs" here at Fine Vine Wines.

Mike D

The wine you are making right now basically will never have any body and thats what makes this an easy drinker. It will not cellar many years either as it has very little tannins, I would drink this before the 2 year mark unless you have very good cellaring conditions.

wade said:
The wine you are making right now basically will never have any body and thats what makes this an easy drinker. It will not cellar many years either as it has very little tannins, I would drink this before the 2 year mark unless you have very good cellaring conditions.

Dang it Wade. Nothing I can do for it huh? What do you recommend for a second kit that I can age for a few years. I like a sweet table wine (not dessert wine). I have not got into the whites yet but I want to. I need to spend some money with George anyway. He's got some good incentives for me this month as its my birthday month.

midtexan...Give George a call...He has made most of the wines he sells and I bet he can steer you to a wine you will like...just tell him what you are looking for....Good Luck

I have a few of these mist kits and the fact that you upped the abv is the only reason they will last that long. ABV, tannins, and the correct chemistry like tannins, PH and acidity are the main factors that make a wine stand the test of time amd these mist kits lack in quite a few of these areas. As far as wines that will last much longer, dryer wines and bigger kits will last much longer as they have more tannins in them.

wade said:
As far as wines that will last much longer, dryer wines and bigger kits will last much longer as they have more tannins in them.

By bigger I assume you dont mean more than 6 gallons. You mean kits that are up the ladder in cost?

That makes me wonder about fruit wines. As yall may have guessed, I am wanting to do fruit wines after I have done a few kits. I am doing the kits because yall recommened doing that and itdoes make since to get the experiance. Are the scratch fruit wines subject to short lifes because of the lack of tannins and other chemicals or can I learn to add these?

Bert said:
midtexan...Give George a call...He has made most of the wines he sells and I bet he can steer you to a wine you will like...just tell him what you are looking for....Good Luck

I'mgonna.

mjdtexan said:
wade said:
As far as wines that will last much longer, dryer wines and bigger kits will last much longer as they have more tannins in them.

By bigger I assume you dont mean more than 6 gallons. You mean kits that are up the ladder in cost?

That makes me wonder about fruit wines. As yall may have guessed, I am wanting to do fruit wines after I have done a few kits. I am doing the kits because yall recommened doing that and itdoes make since to get the experiance. Are the scratch fruit wines subject to short lifes because of the lack of tannins and other chemicals or can I learn to add these?

Bert said:

I'mgonna.

When making scratch wines you can always add grape tannin to increase the shelf life I believe the recommended dose is 1/2 tsp per gallon of fruit wines. That is the powdered version of grape tannins. There are others here with way more knowledge and I'm sure will give us more info.

mjdtexan said:
What do you recommend for a second kit that I can age for a few years. I like a sweet table wine (not dessert wine). I have not got into the whites yet but I want to. I need to spend some money with George anyway. He's got some good incentives for me this month as its my birthday month.

What I've done, because I too like a wine to have feet, legs, body whatever
smiley36.gif
Is to take a big kit like the All Juice mosti ones and backsweeten it a little bit to bring it to what I like to drink. My interpitation of what is meant by "big kit" is that it starts with mostly or all juice without your having to add water (or not much water) to make up the difference to the 6 gal mark. also the bigger the kit, the more time you can/must actually, age it to acheive a decent tasting wine. The more you age these, the better they are. Those smaller sweeter kit wines are what you make to keep yourself from drinking the big kits while they age
smiley2.gif

TinaLouise

unaFORDable said:
My interpitation of what is meant by "big kit" is that it starts with mostly or all juice without your having to add water (or not much water) to make up the difference to the 6 gal mark. also the bigger the kit, the more time you can/must actually, age it to acheive a decent tasting wine. The more you age these, the better they are. Those smaller sweeter kit wines are what you make to keep yourself from drinking the big kits while they age
smiley2.gif

TinaLouise

Ah, that makes since.

Latest posts

Back