RJ Spagnols My first racking experinence gone bad...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to love the Malbecs but there are some terrible commercial wines out there. I tried a commercial Tempranilla that was as tasteless as water and had no body at all. Id swear someone had watered it down to get more out of it.

I may bottle my Grand Cru Malbec this weekend, and had a question.

Do I need to degas again prior to bottling? If so, do I do it in the carboy or after I've racked to the primary to bottle?

Also, how do I know it's ready to bottle? Do I simply trust that 28 days is enough and go for it?

You'll probably get a more detailed answer from someone else, but from the little I do know, if it has cleared then you can bottle it. If not leave it for about a week or so to see if it fully clears.

I would degas again to be sure cause once its in the bottle its trapped in there. I would do it in the carboy as not to introduce too much oxygen but it can be done in the primary. I would also add the extra 1/4 tsp of k-meta if you havent already. This will protect your wine for better cellaring. I usually do this bt adding the k-meta to an empty primary or carboy and rack onto it.

wade said:
I would degas again to be sure cause once its in the bottle its trapped in there. I would do it in the carboy as not to introduce too much oxygen but it can be done in the primary. I would also add the extra 1/4 tsp of k-meta if you havent already. This will protect your wine for better cellaring. I usually do this bt adding the k-meta to an empty primary or carboy and rack onto it.

So, I should degas in carboy, place a 1/4 tsp of k-meta in bottom of primary, rack into the primary, and then bottle?

Thanks...

Wade,

Please forgive my newb questions, but I don't want to screw up my 1st try at making wine.

Wouldn't degassing at bottling time stir up sediment that you wouldn't want in the bottles?

Also, I'm still not clear on how to really tell when it's ok to bottle. Others have said wait 'till the wine clears, but my wine is dark as heck, and, to me, looks the same as it did at last racking a week ago.

Help!

I like to check the clarity of my reds when racking and watching the tube. It should look clear in the tube as there is far less volume of wine in there.

Also, before you bottle, it's always best to rack to a clean carboy or primary so you don't pick up sediment and place it in the bottles.

If you are still on the lees then rack off onto the k-meta, degas, and then bottle. By the way, i always wait extra time from what the kit directions say for clearing.

I went ahead and bottled my Malbec today. I wasn't sure if it was on the lees or not, so I just racked to the primary and then degassed. I botteled most from the bottle filler hooked to the tube, but found it much easier to just the spigot on the primary. I left one bottle open to drink today. The wine tastes much better than it did last week when I racked. Here are a few pics from my first bottling experience.

Does your vinator fit on your bottle tree? Mine does. Your wine looks great.

Edited by: wade

wade said:
Does your vinator fit on your bottle tree? Mine does. Your wine looks great.

Yes, I it does fit on the tree, but I felt it more stable on the table. Now I need to decide on what to do for my next kit?

Ive sed mine on my tree for 1 1/2 years with no instability at all but to each their own and it just might be at a better height there for you.

Latest posts

Back