My cellar in progress - DYI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you using for temp/climate controls and is that unit factored into the $800-900 that you had mentioned?

What are you using for temp/climate controls and is that unit factored into the $800-900 that you had mentioned?

Right now, I am just relying on passive cooling from ground and good insulation (r20) for temperature control. If that is not good enough, I might go with an active unit.

Given that costs are much higher for a climate controlled area (both initial construction and ongoing), I wanted to see what I could achieve passively first.

Great job! You know with all the heavy lifting of items to brew with, you really don't need that weight room. You're getting a good work out as it is while brewing.

Ok, I have started building my ladder rack. In the end, it should hold between 400 and 600 bottles.

It is my first time working with wood (cherry) and I must say it is a learning experience. It is taking a bit more time than I expected!:w

Hopefully it will turn out nice.

Here are a few pics in my garage...

20130605_080105.jpg

20130605_080151.jpg

UPDATE!

Finally installed my racks. I have room for about 440 bottles ! :HB

I only need to add the middle front bracing and the rack will be done. The cherry smells insanely good!

How did you attach the runners to the vertical braces? Screws? Nailgun and glue?

Very nice indeed. I need to make one like that. Problem is not enough room. Bakervinyard

How did you attach the runners to the vertical braces? Screws? Nailgun and glue?

I used regular carpenter's glue to attach the rungs to the ladders. The ladders are screwed into support braces at the back at 3 places and 3 front cherry wood planks at the front.

Very nice job, looks like it would require a lot of time to build racks like those.

I am not a woodworker by any means. In fact, this was my first project ever.

It took me about 5 days to complete the project, from ripping the wood to gluing the rungs to assembling it. I did a few hours each day after work for about a month.

If I had to redo it, I think it would take me a lot less time. An experienced wood worker could probably do it in half the time it took me.

Very nice result on an ambitious project for a first-time woodworker!

Back