My cellar in progress - DYI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeChat

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to share the construction of my cellar with you guys.

It is still in progress and much needs to be done, but all was all DIY work. I hope these pictures will be useful to people that are contemplating making a cellar room.

The specs:

6x12 room
r20 insulation
ceramic floor
Climate control and humidity control rough in

Ongoing:

Cherry wood 500-800 bottles ladder wine rack (right hand side of the cellar)
2x8 feet by 4 feet storage units (each as room for 6-8 carboys at the bottom and lots of space on top)
4 feet by 2 feet counter top

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Second batch of pics:

I am waiting for warm outside temperatures before trying to build the cherry rack.

As I recently found out, working with power saws makes A LOT of dust everywhere when you work inside!

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Looking fantastic. What color is the paint? Maroon (wine)? Hard to tell with flash sometimes. Gonna be a great space once the racks are built/installed!

I love it. You should have went with some type of smoked glass door though. It is to be used for storage of wine and not a work area correct? It would have been so nice to just look in there at will to see the wine.

Very nice work, Lechat. Just wondering, did you insulate the walls between the wine cellar and the weight area and the wall with the door?

Great job. Love the clock on the wall so you know when to go back to the real world.

Looking fantastic. What color is the paint? Maroon (wine)? Hard to tell with flash sometimes. Gonna be a great space once the racks are built/installed!

Thanks! The color is somewhere between wine and port in color. It is actually called "red maple" but I don't think it really looks like red maple...

Looks great. I agree keep this thread going with updates. I like the color.

I put up the shelves, I am going to post a picture later.

I love it. You should have went with some type of smoked glass door though. It is to be used for storage of wine and not a work area correct? It would have been so nice to just look in there at will to see the wine.

It is going to be partly storage, partly work area and partly wine cellar. I wish management (SWMBO) would have approved the request to go with 100% wine cellar, alas it will not be!

Very nice work, Lechat. Just wondering, did you insulate the walls between the wine cellar and the weight area and the wall with the door?

All the walls and ceiling are insulated with fibreglass batts. The only thing non insulated is the door. My plan was to test the room as-is with the non insulated door and if it requires more insulation, I would open the corrugated cardboard door and slip in some foam boards in there (r4-9).

Temperature is currently 14.5 C with humidity around 50%.

Looks great LeChat! The only problem that I see is, once you invite all of us over for a wine tasting, the room might be a little small for all of us to fit, but you can always expand and take over your weight room. Nothing wrong with doing curls with full wine bottles.

UPDATE:

I had time to install the shelving today. Coming up, I will need to find appropriate containers for my beer bottles. Ugly cardboard boxes are not really fitting in with the surroundings.

I did not speak about this before, but for those interested, I built the cellar room from the ground up for about 800$-900$ including everything (including the cherry wood for the rack). Pretty cool.

20130128_124313.jpg

Back