My batch has drastically reduced in volume.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PadmaKidul

Junior
Reaction score
We are making jackfruit wine from scratch with just fruit, sugar, yeast and campden tablets. We racked it once about a month ago and are planning to rack again. What was once a full jar of juice is now 3/4 full. Do we add water next time we rack? We didn't the first time. Do we also keep the airlock on it? How do we add campden tablets because the last time they didn't fully dissolve (we crushed them and dropped the powder in).
Thanks!

We are making jackfruit wine from scratch with just fruit, sugar, yeast and campden tablets. We racked it once about a month ago and are planning to rack again. What was once a full jar of juice is now 3/4 full. Do we add water next time we rack? We didn't the first time. Do we also keep the airlock on it? How do we add campden tablets because the last time they didn't fully dissolve (we crushed them and dropped the powder in).
Thanks!

Wait... I'm confused...

So you added fruit, sugar, yeast, and campden, but no water at first as in during primary fermentation or after racking to a carboy?

How big is this batch? How much did you start with? And how much is there now?

Do you have a hydrometer? Have you taken any readings?

The more info you can give, the better people on here can help you. Lots of people here with a lot of knowledge.

Hopefully you waited at least 24 hours if you added the campden tab before adding the yeast. I'd be interested in seeing your recipe as I have a jackfruit tree in my backyard. I've thought about making wine out of it one day.

When adding sulfite of any type (powder or tablets "Campden") you need to dissolve it in water or wine first before adding it to your wine. You just need enough water to dissolve it which isnt much at all. As fas as your wine goes you only need to top up (replace missing volume) when fermentation is done as until then you need room because fermentation canget violent at times so a ful carboy or primary can overflow and make a mess if too full and during fermentation it is producing C02 which will displace the 02 in that missing hearoom. Once its finished you can use a previous wine you made. The more you need makes it more important to top up with something familiar or rack down to a vessel more suited to the existing volume. If its just a little bit then you can use water. Again if fermentation is done and if you have a wine that is similar but has residual sugar the it makes it very important to add both sulfite and sorbate first into your wine before adding anything with any sugar in it or you will start a refermentation. When ever adding anything to your wine it should be thoroughly dissolved first. Obviously the best method is not to use anything to top up but to rack your wine down to smaller vessel. Another thing you can do is is use sanitized marbles to displace the missing volume.

Sorry for not being clear, sure we used water from the beginning and then after the primary fermentation we moved it to the carboy (is that the big glass jug) with the airlock (bubbler) and we topped it off.
When it appeared fermentation was done because the bubbling stopped, we racked it. (used a hose to transfer to new clean vessel). After that transfer there was less than the original amount. We didn't add more water at that time.
I am under the impression every month we rack it????
We want to rack it again soon. Should we add water this time around? I plan to add campden tablets again (thanks heaps for the info on how to do that properly) because I feel like last time was ineffective since they clearly didn't dissolve.
So back to my original enquiry... should I top it off with water?
Is there a certain amount of space that should be at the top of the vessel? I hadn't thought of that but someone mentioned it.
We have no wine from before because this is our first batch. Could I pour in some bottled wine? Though I'd honestly hate to do that.

Last edited:
Racking each month is really overdone.

Rack the wine, and wait till it throws sediment, than rack it again or dont.

I have to be frank, I am a lazy winemaker, I almost never rack my wine.
Sure I transfer from primary to carboy but then just let it sit till its done, and then some.
I must say that this is no good winemaking practice however I never had any problems coming from this.

However if you rack you should top it up to the brim.
Or you rack to a smaller carboy.

If there is space above the wine that space will be filled with air, This may spoil the wine or at least oxidise it in the long run.
An oxidised wine will taste like sherry and thats nothing you want to experience unless on purpose.

Luc

Hello, am trying to make some Jackfruit wine myself but don't have a recipe. Appreciate if someone from this forum could share it.

I cut various lengths of food grade 3/4 ridgid clear plastic tubes.
I then added silica sand, and capped both end with rubber stoppers.
I made some in 2 to 5 inches long. I sanitized before use.
I like these better then marbles.

I'm not sure if we have directly answered your question...you need to eliminate the air space as you know.

You can top with water but that will dilute your wine. You can top with similar wine, but I have no idea what wine would be similar to jackfruit. :p

You can rack to a smaller carboy. When I do this I usually end up with a 1/2 gallon or a wine bottle full or even a beer bottle full as well. Save that, you will want that little bit for drinking or topping up again next time.

You can displace the wine upward with marbles or the tubes James mentions or something like that.

PS: I would love to see the recipe as well. I have a little Kwai Muk which I hope will eventually cooperate and give some fruit...can't grow jackfruit in MO!

jackfruit is one of the largest fruits in the world.
also the most stinkiest. it is horrible smelling. I dont think I could stomach the smell of it fermenting.
I was in Vietnam and saw it the first time, and smelled it the first time.
It is weird..
I do not think you can compare it to anything other then rotting meat with sulphur added to it.

Latest posts

Back