My Aeration-Oxidation Free SO2 Setup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the helpful info. I have recently purchased a similar setup from midwest with enough reagants for 20 or so tests. At this point I am predominately making kits are you kit makers who are checking sulfite levels correcting sulfite based on a measured ph or just shooting for a level prior to bottli g, say 50 ppm. Since I know kits are balanced can we assume the ph is a certain level or do I need to really invest in a ph meter even with kits.

Thanks for the help.

No, you will need a pH meter as the amount of SO2 required to protect a wine is directly proportional to the pH value of the wine. Lower pH needs less, higher pH needs more.

Thanks. Any recommendations on a decent but resonable ph meter. Figuring the dip sticks aren't worth trying even. Also I see calculators such as the winemakers mag one, you need to input the mg per liter of desired molecular so2. Do you using use 0.8 for whites and less like 0.6 mg/l for reds. Sorry for all the questions, but much appreciated.

No problems thats what were here for. I use the pHep 5 and love it. Others really like the Milwaukee 101 model for about the same price. The winemaker mag calculator is what I use. I dose everything at the 0.8 level. Once you input the pH of the wine, if you look down (just below the input area) it will tell you what level of SO2 (in ppm) is required to protect the wine. Then you enter that level into the input area, your volume and starting level of SO2 (if known, zero if none has been added yet) and it will calculate the addition to make. If your doing a kit add the pack that comes with it. Remember that the first time you add SO2 about 50% will get bound up in the wine, thats why you add so much up front. After that you are good for bulk aging for quite a while if you are aging in a carboy. Much less if you are aging in a barrel as they let lots of O2 in slowly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mike that phep5 seems like great choice, will probably end up ordering that one. Btw great website you made, that has been on my long list of things to do for a while now.

You still making predominately the cellar craft showcase kits? I have my first double batch showcase zin in a vadai right now which is tasting amazing. If so you source the kits locally? I've been having a hard time finding a good retailer that doesn't try to charge ridiculous prices.

I have moved on now to mostly fresh grapes. I still make all white wines from kits. I always get 16L or 18L kits and they turn out very good. :try

Hello,

I'm considering buying the aeration test from morewine. I think buying from many suppliers will cost more. But once I would need to replace reagents I would like to buy locally when I can.

Here is what I have in minds :

Peroxyde : buying from drugstore like suggested

0.01N HCL : I'm looking where I can buy it and make my own. I did not find any up to now.

0.01N Naoh : I found this from a local store : "Sodium Hydroxide also called NaOH, Caustic Soda or Lye. Sodium Hydroxide resembles Potassium Hydroxide in its chemical properties and has similar uses. Ingredient Depot's Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH / Caustic Soda / Lye) is in micropearls form (25 mesh size or 3/4 millimeter) and is of Anhydrous and Technical Grade. Sodium Hydroxide is hygroscopic in nature readily absorbing water and carbon dioxide from the air. Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH / Caustic Soda / Lye) mixes easily with water, alcohol, and glycerol. Sodium Hydroxide is exothermic generating heat while dissolving." Is it ok to make my own?

25% solution of Phosphoric acid : Like suggested 2% w/v solution from sulfamic acid. Hardware store has it.

SO2 indicator : I'll buy online.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Yves

If you can get the HCL and the NaOH shipped across the border Morewine is plenty cheap on the this as a reorder stocked item. It is only the Phosphoric acid that is costly.

Thanks! I guess it's ok for shipment I got a shipping quote.

Is there any disadvantage doing the 0.01N HCL and 0.01N Naoh solutions? Accurancy might be an issue... I have a 30g +/- 0.001g scale but the volume measurement is another story.

The only source I found for HCL is muriatic acid, don't know if It's ok.

Well I think I'm 14 years old again. lol I had fun doing lab tests.

Yves

I would trust the stuff being sold by morewine any day of the week. The HCL is not used for anything other than getting your sample ready to titrate. You add a drop or two to get it closer to the endpoint before the start of the titration. Its the NaOH that is critical. This is made from very high purity stock con HCL which is standardized before they bottle into smaller bottles for shipment.

Latest posts

Back