My 2008 Blacberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Reaction score
20080101_213551_blackberry_star.JPG

Yeast starter bottle & will pitch yeast and Super Ferment to primary tomorrow evening. Starter bottle gotbubbling in about an hour or so.Will put the oak in whenIrack to carboy.

20080101_212202_2008_Blackberry.JPG

Recipe
2 1/2 gallons blackberry juice SG1.030
2 3/4 gallons of water SG 1.016
Added invert sugar to achive SG 1.084
7 Campden tablets
2 1/2 Tsp Acid blend
3 Tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 Tsp Super Ferment

This made a little over 6 gallons, Hopeing for 5 gallons at finish time. The bubbles on top are from stiring the heck out of it

Harry

I believe you are going to have you a good one here harry

What kind of Blackberry juice did you use??? We haven't access to any Blackberries around here...yet.

Hi Northern Winos
I planted 21 blackberry plants year before last and finally got enough to mahe a batch. I also purchased a juicer like Waldo has and juiced them. Put the juice in canning jars. I also have4 gallons of Mustang grape juice in jars( Wild grapes). Will make a batch out of that in a couple days.
smiley32.gif

Harry

I sure hope so Waldo. I have some French Oak chips that will go in when i rack to carboy.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Looks great.....would that be the same as dew berries...the wild ones....?
Up north growing up we had black rasberries and the wild berries. The black rasberries came off leaving a little white pulp behind like the red rasberries and the black berries (dewberries) were clumped on the pulp thing and didn't come off when you pick them....Sorry for the wierd description. I think here in Texas all I have seen is blackberries/dewberries. Am I right or wrong in knowing the difference.

You are my closest Texas connection, I think, ......Ramona

Hey Northern:
Blackberries are of course, out of season. Usually around July(Climate is a big thing for them).
I found a local farm that grows beautifulBlueberries andNavaho Blackberries as big as your thumb, joint to tip, but alas, that won't assist you either.
I've been using the Vintners Harvest, 96 o.z cans (2 for 6 gal.) myself and the last two I've tried have turned out fine thus far.
I even ventured into a couple cans of Raspberry to try out as well.
Hope that helps.

Handyman, try the black currant if you havent already, I think those are the best of all the Vintners harvest bsaes.

Hey Harry:
I've got two Blackberries going now. One's 140 days in and the other, 20 days in.
What final s.g are you shooting for in yours?
I'm pushing for a final of about 1.005 to 1.010 (semi sweet, semi dry, very aromatic and taste).

Ramona what we call dewberries here are different then blackberries. The blackberries here grow on an upright cane. The canes on the dewberry lay on the ground. Sorta like a carpet. They like to grow on poor soil here so they don't have to compete with the weeds or maybe that is where the weeds haven't smother then out. They are about the size of raspberries here. If you could grow them on bettersoil they may get bigger. They alway grew wild here. I have never saw anybody cultivate them I guess. They are getting to be a thing of the past here though with all the farming. Edited by: swillologist

Dewberry
They are small brambles with berries reminiscent of the raspberry, but are usually purple to black instead of red.
20080102_203616_240px-Dewberry2.jpg

Dewberries are common throughout most of the Northern Hemisphere, sometimes thought of as a nuisance weed, but the leaves can be used for a tea, and the berries are sweet and edible.
Around March and April, the plants start to grow white flowers that develop into small green berries. The tiny green berries grow red and then a deep purple-blue as they ripen. When the berries are ripe, they are tender and difficult to pick in any quantity without squashing them.
The plants do not have upright canes like some other Rubus species, but have stems that trail along the ground, putting forth new roots along the length of the stem. The stems are covered with fine spines or stickers.

Hi Ramona

Here is a pic of one of my blackberrys, I pick them an put them in 5 Lb bags and freeze them.I only got 42 lbs this year hopefully i will get more this year. I have the Brazos Blackberry, Lots of thorns.
smiley19.gif

Harry

20080103_203811_blackberry_&amp_qu.JPG

Edited by: Harry

Handyman, I thought the same thing.....

I certainly hope that it is food grade plastic.... not an inexpensive garbage can that could leach dangerous chemicals into his wine.....
smiley5.gif

HI Handyman
Its a plastic garbage can from Wal Mart, I holds 10 gallons. I have 2 of them.

Harry,

You probably know this....

You may want to check the type of plastic that it is made of. If you
look at the bottom it will tell you (usually). It is stamped in
(usually a triangle with numbers on it). The numbers will tell you the
grade of the plastic. Do a search on here.

People talked about plastic grades some time ago and what is acceptable.

Due to the high acidic nature and alcohol in wine it WILL leach out
chemicals from the plastic, if the plastic is not food grade. I was
able to purchase a 10 gallon food grade pail at a local restaurant
supply store. It even came with a lid to prevent little nasties from
getting in there. I think I paid around $20 buck for it. Here are the
best pics I could find. It is nice because it has handles too.

I would hate to hear about your or anyone getting sick from it....
smiley11.gif

Here are some pics of a Crushendo Montac from 06 in the bucket.

121806%20%20Monttagnac%20%28Small%29.jpg

20080103_212755_120906_007_Crus.jpg

20080103_212927_121806__Monttag.jpg

RS:
Fabulous idea! I love that pail. I'm going to go inquire about a 12 gal one so I can do two carboys simultaneously.
Oh. Also. Thanks so much for the info on the plastic gradeing. that was exceptionally helpful.
I imagine that if Harry isinocently using a bad bucket, he can find a replacement quick at a local restaurant.

Back