must too pulpy/thick for SG reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pounder67

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a Black Cherry wine. I put 5 lbs. of Black Cherries and 1/2 lb. chopped raisins in straining bag. Added 2.5 Lbs. sugar, rest of ingreds., and water to make a gal. The must is so thick & pulpy from squeezing the cherries, that I'm not getting an accurate SG reading. Says 1.124, but I can feel the must feels like mud when I stir. I guess I'll just have to go with what I got and not worry about the PA; should be in the ballpark...I think. Any thoughts??

Did you draw a sample to a test tube or beacker?
If you did and still have a problem, maybe you could try wrapping the end of your wine teft with cheese cotton...?

Allow some liquid to settle out and check just the liquid. You will get a better readingThe 1.124 number might be close with that amount of sugar in a 1 gallon batch. If it stays that high you may want to add a little water or more fruit(my choice)

I would do whatever I had to do to get a sample - filter through coffee filters, dilute a sample 50/50 and double the result, something.

For the next few months you'll spend considerable time nursing this along. Why leave it to chance?

Take your test tube and place your fingers over it. Insert into your primary allowing a small amount of space between your fingers. The liquid will seep between your fingers filling up the tube. Remove and pour off just enough to allow space for the hydrometer.

Back