Muscadines are dropping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj4271

Reaction score
Some of my muscadine vines are dropping fruit this week, just not enough. In the past, I've collected enough at one time to make several gallons. So far, I'v only got about 5 pounds.

How much frozen concentrated grape juice can I add to make up for a pound & 1/2 of muscadine to make a gallon mix?

BJ,

Think about cleaning, destemming and freezing the fruit as it is ready. Then you can collect for a while longer before committing.

The problem is it only drops for a short while & the critters get there quickly.

You've gotta be quicker than them critters.
smiley2.gif

BJ:

My suggestion would be to go out "EVERYDAY" and feel for the softer fruit while on the vine and pick them once soft and freez them.

If you have made muscadine in the past, you must agree, it would be worth the extra effort.

Jobe,

There's a little problem with your suggestion. These are wild vines and are 30 - 50' up a tree.

Many moons ago, the ladies would swon at the sight of me in a loincloth.

Luck, more & more are dropping. I got about 8 pounds from one vine that never droppedmore than 1-2 pounds before. The biggest vine (has dropped enough for 11 gal of wine in one year) also started dropping.The problem with this one is yellow jackets have set up housekeeping underneath. Makes for very tricky picking in short time spans.

Oh, but the smell of the muscadine this year is the best I've ever noticed! The flavor will be extra special.

I'm surprised - as dry as it's been this year. These vines don't get any irrigation but rain & there's been almost none here.

Can you lay sheets under the vines and pick them off the sheets???Sounds like manna from heaven...
smiley1.gif

Again, the problem with critters getting them. I can't hang around waiting for them to drop. I get by every other day or so & about half that dropped since the last time have been eaten.

So Kay calls me this afternoon and says.

"We went picking them scupperdines this morning. I'll run them out to you when I pick up the kids after school"

What I got was about 10lb of picked destemmed and washed Muscadines in a JCPenney paper bag. No picking no cleaning, just handed over a bottle of Chilean Merlot. Her hubby is going to be happy.

She says there's more where they come from, sol I'll wash and pfreeze this lot. A couple of more batches like that and I'll have enough for 6 gallons I reckon.

Tasted one. No wonder they make wine out of it.

Yesterday morning around 7am Mr. Boud Ellinson called me to let me know his Muscadines were ready to start picking and he wanted to give me first shot at them for sharing some of my wines with him last year before he began running his ads in the paper. Did not take me long to get my buckets and head over there.

boydsmuscadinevineyard.jpg

boydsmuscadinevineyard2.jpg

Mr. Ellinson is quite proud of his vineyard, and rightfully so. He has 4 different varities of Muscadines right now and plans on adding at least 3 more varieties over the next couple of years.
boyd2.jpg

I think I am going to use this picture i took yesterday for a label for this years wine.
boydsmuscadinevineyard3.jpg

A lot of sweat in the hot, hotsun and my first picking is now done
muscadines.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Thanks Waldo for the photos, was going to ask some silly question about Muscadines and your photos answered all the questions I had....they look wonderful, large and juicy.. WOW!! They must be fun to pick and use.... Have fun with your picking and winemaking
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Waldo, I'm so jealous. It's a tremendous amount of effort to gather the wildmuscadine. I can't wait for my vinery to start producing.

Me too Bruce. By the way, the variety shown is the Black Beauty and that is the one I have planted so I have great expectations now of what I will be gathering in about 2 years. They are so aromatic and sweet!! I am letting them ripen another couple of days on the kitchen counter and then I will freeze them for a couple of weeks before making my wine.

Latest posts

Back