Muscadines and Frost

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatud4life

Future wine & SP maker
Reaction score
I sure am glad to see my muscadines recover from the frost that we had in Northeast Tennessee this year!!!! I have 1 Carlos (brionze 1/2" dia.) and 2 Isons (black 1 1/8" dia.). The Carlos was set up to have a wonderful crop this year before the frost. It should still have a good crop though. Hopefully, I will have my first crop from one of the Isons this year. Once they are in their peak growing, it will be wine and juice making time in Tennessee!!!! :D

Good news! Glad your crop survived. I just planted some muscadines in my back yard, (big plantation of 4 vines :D) but it's an experiment to see how fast they grow and how much they will produce. And they just might look pretty good covering the swing arbor that I built for my wife.

That is great news!!! Your plantation is bigger than mine! I only have 3 vines! What varieties did you plant? The first year, the Carlos did decent. I fed it with triple 10 and calcium nitrate every month and it grew about 2 feet in both directions after it reached the top wire. The next year, I actually read the instructions that came with the vine from Ison's and kept the outgrowth pruned back. Boy did that make a difference!!!!! It grew 8 feet in both directions and managed to produce a modest little crop of grapes!!! :br I am expecting a good crop this year. Ison's says that self fertile vines will produce 60 to 80 pounds of grapes during peak years. Female and male vines will produce aa little less. Good luck with your plantation! Any pics?

248.jpg

251.jpg

Latest posts

Back