Muscadine wine - unable to add the recommended amount of water to the primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwr75

Junior
Reaction score
I started a new batch of muscadine wine with about 40 lb. of fruit yesterday. Was only able to add 1.5 gallons of water to my 8 gallon primary fermenter after getting all the ingredients and fruit in the bucket.

The recipe I'm using calls for 4.5 gallon of water addition. Am guessing the pH will be lower than normal in this recipe. Will this cause me any fermentation problems? I can add more water after removing the mesh sack of fruit when the S.G. reaches 1.030.

How many gallons of wine do you expect? I think about 7 pounds of fruit for each gallon of wine is a good benchmark for muscadine. I would say you are fine.

Also, what is your starting SG.

I am betting you end up with a good wine there.

Am making a 6 gallon batch. The starting SG was 1.013.

EDIT - sorry for the typo, starting SG = 1.130

Last edited:
Can you take a ph reading or an acid test? Actually, 1 1/2 gallons should be plenty of water and you sg is way to low at 1.013 is way to low, you need to get it up to 1.109. What yeast are you using?

Sorry for the typo, starting SG = 1.130

Today the SG= 1.124 (24 hours elasped since pitching)

Yeast used was Lalvin EC-1118

I do not have any pH testing equipment or strips.

Last edited:
I think 1.130 starting sg is high unless you are going to rely on hoping the yeast dies out and leaves residual sugar. If this were to ferment to dry at say .994 my calculations put this at about 18.5% alcohol. I would have shot for 1.085-1.090 for starting gravity and then back sweeten to taste after cleared and stabilized.

My general rule of thumb for Muscadine is 3/4-1 gallon of water per 6 gallon bucket of grapes (about 45-50 lbs depending on the type of grape).

Next time you want more room, either split your batch into two buckets or buy a 22 gal. brute garbage can. They sell them that are food grade for 20 to25 dollars. Arne.

The bucket foamed over today. So I dipped out 6 cups of must. The SG is 1.110 today.

Muscadines are acidic. So, adding some water at the time you transfer to the 6 gallon carboy will help that. It will also help reduce the high alcohol content you're headed for.

The SG hit 1.030 today, just six days after pitching the yeast. Racked the primary to a 6 gallon carboy and was able to add 5 liters of water to top off the carboy.

I hope you left a few inches of headspace. There is the possibility that the fermentation could speed up with the addition of the water. I have not had that problem under these circumstances, but it pays to be ready for anything. I'd keep a close watch and check the sg frequently to monitor it. Most likely, removing the lees and stuff in the bottom of the primary will cause it to continue to ferment slowly, though.

I left 2" head space in the carboy. It is bubbling away now about once every second.

I use zero water making my muscadine wine. I top up with water sometimes but try as hard as I can not to.

I'd say 1.130 was high, as has been said, but I have started them nicely at 1.080 and 1.090, even had a good batch at 1.100.

You might want to try this sometime, too: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/moonshiners-muscadine-37244/

I know it sounds goofy, but this recipe won three silvers in three states in 2013-14.

(P.S.: Be sure to use my modern version. That's what won. I also included the original in the thread.)

UNDER EDIT: Oh my gosh, I was reading through the thread and forgot I married a second pressing of muscadine to blueberry juice to make Bell Bottom Blues. That wine also won second place in two states in 2013-14. How quickly I forget. Anyway, you might want to try one or both, FWIW... GOOD ON YOU for making muscadine! An All-American wine!

Last edited:
Thanks JSWORDY. This batch is my 3rd. I started a batch of muscadine and batch of scuppernong back in September when the fruit was coming in. Both of them were bottled in the last two weeks. This 3rd batch is from frozen muscadines picked earlier this year.

Back