Muscadine Vine Pollination

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVFD236

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently bought 2 Muscadine vines of the Summit Cultivar (female).

After doing some research i realized that I need a self-pollinating variety close by to these vines to pollinate properly.

My question is, I currently have 2 concord grape vines planted near where I am going to setup the Muscadine trellis. This being a self-pollinating variety, will they in fact do the job for the Muscadines or will i need to purchase another Muscadine vine that is self-pollinating?

Thanks in advance
BG

My understanding is that they will not cross-pollinate. You need a self-pollinating muscadine.

Muscadines have 40 chromosomes and other grapes have 38. If muscadines were just now being discovered they might not be called grapes.

You need a self pollinator. One will pollinate up to 4 females. You don’t need to plant the self pollinator at this time. You can wait a year or so since Muscadines don’t start producing for 2-3 years after planting. Check www.Isons.com for more info than you ever want. They are the biggest and oldest growers of muscadine in the US., in business since 1934.

I would advise getting disease free tissue cultured plants. You can get Delicious, a newer release from Florida at Hirt's or Florida Hill nurseries.

Latest posts

Back