Mulled or spiced wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethB

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bottled mulled or spiced wine? I have made some Merlot and would like to spice it before I bottle it. I can't find anything on the net about this. I want to give it as Christmas gifts!

Spiced as in how? I have made numerous wines with cinammon, clove, ginger, etc. in them and bottled them.

The recipe is for a mulled German Gluhwein wine, it has zest from 2 lemons & 2 oranges, cloves, cardamom, sugar, cinnamon, 1/2 cup brandy & 1.25 c water. the recipe I have is for using 2 bottles of red wine. I was going to put all the ingredients in cheesecloth and cook with water, and add the wine. Let it warm (not boil) then once it is flavored take out the cheesecloth and proceed to bottle it. I have a rack of Merlot that will be ready to bottle in about a week.

When you opened your wine that you spiced, was it ok?

Only think I might consider is make sure you add the potassium sorbate to ensure the sugar does not referment.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to bottle it after the mulling/sweetening process, just to make sure you are safe on that front.

Beth,
Yes, my wine was just fine. I used cinammon and clove on a Welchs grape wine, I have used cinammon on an apple wine and also made JAOM(Joe's Ancient Orange Mead) which uses honey, cinammon and clove.

Agree with Paul on the use of sorbate, just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back