Moving to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suecasa

Addicted Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there experts …

quick question

I've started the Limited Trio … it came with 3 kinds of oak … all added in primary … when it comes time to rack to secondary how much of the oak should be left behind … seems like a lot of wood and i'm just wondering how much must i'll end up having to leave behind because of it!!

Hey there experts …

quick question

I've started the Limited Trio … it came with 3 kinds of oak … all added in primary … when it comes time to rack to secondary how much of the oak should be left behind … seems like a lot of wood and i'm just wondering how much must i'll end up having to leave behind because of it!!

Aside from having it interfere with your racking wand - no big deal. I normally add oak cubes (if the kit comes with it) when bulk aging, but put the chips or shavings in in the primary. they'll pretty much dump whatever tannins they are going to dump right away so I wouldn't worry about them being left behind. Rack to the secondary like you planned, then stabilize and top up and give it a taste. if you
are going to let it bulk age in the carboy, you can always decide to add a handful or two of toasted oak chips or cubes and let it sit for a while. I bought myself a
nice bag of untoasted french oak chunks, and when I want more oak (by taste) I will toast the oak up at 500 degrees in the oven till it's a nice brown, drop it into a sanitized carboy and rack onto it. let it sit and age on the oak for a while then rack it off.

If you want to maximize must liquid transfer, consider straining the residual lees so you can separate solids vs liquids. Then transfer to a tall sealable cylinder (Rubbermaid like spaghetti holders are awesome) and refrigerate for a few days. The solids will drop and you can rack off the liquids and add to your carboy. Oh, a 2-3 L plastic pop bottle works also, I like the feet because all the lees tend to settle in the feet, you can seal it, chill for a few days to allow settling and then carefully cut the top off or just insert racking tube. Superb. **of course, clean and sanitize everything**

Last edited:
thanks sara & phat … i will save the "left overs" to salvage the rest of the liquids.

is there a trick for keeping the siphon going? even with the cap i'm wondering how the tube will handle all that sediment

also stirring … i'm on day 2 and it's already below 1.040 (from 1.090) … what's your opinion about stirring in primary?? when would you or wouldnt you?

I always stir at least daily, twice a day is preferred, while in primary.

Slip a nylon stocking over bottom of racking cane, stay above the sediment level and have patience. If you have any floating must just scoop it off with a clean/sanitized strainer.

I always stir at least daily, twice a day is preferred, while in primary.

Slip a nylon stocking over bottom of racking cane, stay above the sediment level and have patience. If you have any floating must just scoop it off with a clean/sanitized strainer.

I normally don't stir unless I'm dealing with a fruit wine recepie that calls for it, but I make mostly reds and want it to fall out, and with my ferment room and temperature I'm fortunate enough that I really never have issues with stuck ferments. I also tend to ferment my reds to dry in the primary, so I usually make sure I've stirred and aerated the must well before I pitch the yeast, wait a day or two for the foamup (and yes the SG will drop rapidly) and then I airlock and wait it out. I then transfer to secondary, and check my SG for a couple of days before
worrring about degassing, stabilizing and topping up.

As for racking with crap in the bottom, I've done the nylon stocking thing and it mostly works, but I didn't have the patience :). I normally wrap a sanitized green plastic scrubber cloth around the bottom of my racking cane (a rather coarse thing) with a rubber band - I find that's sufficient to keep oak (and or fruit) chunkies from getting into my racking cane without it clogging up too bad.

You'll find there's really no wrong answers. Do what works for you..

1- stir, it keeps the yeast and sugar mixed, also yeast needs oxygen during the first part of primary fermentation so 2x a day, just don't whip it.
2- when racking, start with the bottom of the cane about 4 inches off the bottom, this helps keep the oak from clogging. Then slowly drop the cane down and tilt the bucket until you get to the bottom.
3- Pour leas into a 750 ( or 1/2 gallon, depending on how much you have) bottle with an airlock to let it settle. after about a week use the clear to top up with.

moving day

WHAT DOES THE MFG. ASK YOU TO DO???/:d

THAT'S WHAT i WOULD DO ...........:db

Thanks all. Doug ... When you say to lower the cane ... Do you mean when the level is dropping near that point? Early in tracking?

Back