Moving a fermenter bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskins

Reaction score
Hi, I keep my fermenting buckets in the corner of my aparment on the floor. When i go to rack to secondary should i move them to a counter a day before i rack so it has a chance to settle from the move? I dont have a high area i can keep them all the time. When i move the bucket should i take the airlock out, move it, then put it back or just leave it in while i move it?

I just move mine to my kitchen counter right before I am ready to rack.
You can always let things settle for 10-15 mins before racking.

When you are racking from primary to secondary, what you are trying to do it get rid of the bigger stuff. The smaller, sediment, like yeast and small particals really need to go with the wine to secondary. The small stuff is beneficial.

Before I rack from primary to secondary (when I don't do the entire fermentation in the primary bucket), I like to stir the wine up really well to get everything into suspension. Then, I let it set for about 15 minutes, so the big stuff will settle, but the smaller sediment will still be in suspension; then I rack.

So, to answer your question, once you move your bucket, let it set for about 15 minutes before you rack to secondary.

Not in the way just don't want the liquid to fall down into the bucket. Thanks for the help everyone

Not enough liquid to worry about. You can take it out if it gives you peace of mind. But if you're using, water, or water with sulfite - no worries.

I have been using a TV dinner tray in the corner of my house. It seems to be working good for now

Back