Mosti Mondiale Mosti Vinifera Noble Franc Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know its a week after New Year's Day, but I finally got around to starting my first wine of 2008. It is the Vinifera Noble Franc Suvignon wine, a delicious blend of Cab Franc and Cab Sauvignon. Due to my wife being sick since New Year's Day and the trip to the Hospital and her staying theree for a day, I got delayed, but all is well now-sorta.

Here is the kit- a new series of Mosti Mondiale George is carrying now. I think they will be a good inexpensive full wine. I know it won't be as full bodied as an all juice or like, but hey, it's VERY well put together. This one has 2- 30 packs of a medium toast oad and one pack of light toast oak. Mixed up to 23 liters it gave a full 1.092 SG reading at 70 deg. While not as powerful smelling as the all juice kits, it has a very pleasing smell and nice delicious flavor. Once made up I believe this one will be a keeper. I will also be interested to see if there is any hint of KT with this kit as compared to the WE less expensive kits.

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=2 ="maintable"><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Item Number</TD>
<TD>VN165</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Description</TD>
<TD>

Franc Sauvignon

Dark, rich and full bodied, only begin to describe this wonderful blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.

Mosti Mondiale’s 10L Vinifera Noble is a unity between fresh musts and concentrate to preserve the properties of each varietal and enhance their natural characteristics. Wines produced with Mosti Mondiale’s 10L Vinifera Noble are characteristically warm,

Mosti Mondiale™ wines are made from only the finest 100% varietal grape juice and grape concentrates from among the world’s premier vineyards. Many kits include specially chosen toasted oak chips for barrel-aged character and increased depth.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Current Price</TD>
<TD>$70.99</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Picture</TD>
<TD>
VN_lg.jpg
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Flavor</TD>
<TD>Franc Sauvignon</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Brand</TD>
<TD>Vinifera Noble</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Manufacturer's Description</TD>
<TD>Dark, rich and full bodied, only begin to describe this wonderful blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. A bouquet of blackcurrant and black cherry with a spicy undertone. A very generous wine with solid tannins and rich mellow oak, this combination will send your taste buds into a state of euphoria. Pairings: Well spiced game, grilled red meats, and strong cheeses (very old cheddar, Gorgonzola etc.) </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Sweetness</TD>
<TD>0</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>F-Pack</TD>
<TD>N</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Oak Type </TD>
<TD>Toasted </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Oak Intensity </TD>
<TD>3</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Minimum Recomended Aging </TD>
<TD>3 Months</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Wine Peaks At </TD>
<TD>1 year </TD></TR></T></T></T></TABLE>

I will keep you all updated on this one. Sorry no pictures yet, but it is a beautifully assembled kit with all the normal ingredients we have come to expect with the Mosti kits.

Appleman, it looks good already.....just in the box!!
Hope for a speedy recovery for your other half.
smiley1.gif

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the other makers lower end kits, keep us posted!

Appleman, is this the first Mosti Mondiale Vinifera kit you've made or tried? Have you ever made, or tried, the Cellar Craft 12L grapepack kits? I'm just wondering how they stack up to each other since the price is similar and whether this kit is meant to stand toe to toe with the CC 12L grape pack.

In answers to your questions

Yes this is the first Mosti Vinifera Noble kit I have made, but have aShiraz waiting to start also. I just peeked in on it at noon and it is starting to bubble away and that's bringing the delightful odors forth.

No, I haven't made any of the Cellar Craft kits. There is enough of a selection to deal with from what George currently carries. Anymore selection and I would go bananas
smiley29.gif

I will say this and it is not a knock against WE, but I seem to be getting more susceptible to KT all the time. I made up a WE Island Mist Blueberry Pinot Noir last summer and got around to bottling a month or two ago. At bottling, it tasted great and the blueberry was really evident. Over Christmas I brough quite a few bottles to parties and everybody finished those before anything else. To me they seem to be getting more KT all the time and less blueberry nose. I opened a small one last night and it was all I could do to finish it off myself.
I also started a Mosti All Juice Pinot Noir and an Orchard Breezin Cherry Pinot Noir at the same time. The MM Pinot I am trying to keep my fingers off of, but it is GOOD already -no KT at all. The Orchard Breezin Cherry Pinot has no KT either and I prefer it greatly over the Blueberry. I have hopes for the WE IM to improve eventually. All I have to do is wait a year to drink it. This is the main reason I am trying out the Vinifera Noble series from Mosti- to see if it will give a good early drinker without the associated KT some of us can detect. Those who can't detect it, great! But for those of us affected by it, we search desperately for ones that don't have it so we can drink as we like.

Edited by: appleman

Appleman,

Hope your wife is better. I'll raise a glass to her health this evening. Thanks for all the advice on my endless questions.

Ken

I think that once we get several kits under our belt and have tried a few different varietals and brands then the KT becomes much easier to detect. I too am able to detect it on almost all kits with the exception of well aged "big" kits. I don't mind the kit taste as much as I hate the kit smell. I know that smell and taste are very closely related but when I bring the glass up to my nose prior to taking a sip I really don't want to be hit by that somewhat sickly sweet smell.

I have to admit that I haven't yet tried the MM products so I can't say how they are - that was the reason for my question. The only all juice product I've tried is a Gewurztraminer frozen Brehm pail that isn't ready yet and I don't care for the "mist" style wine drinks at all.Edited by: Rule G

Hi, hope your wife's o.k. It's not a fun way to spend time, in the hospital, either being in there or being with someone in there.

But anyways, if you're looking for a nice full bodied wine, inexpensive, a suggestion is the Barolo in the Vinifera line. We bottled one today for a customer and I had a taste and it was quite good.

As well, one of my customers was telling me her daughter and son-in-law consider themselves to be wine experts and also had a guest over who is supposedly very learned in the wine field and had an expensive wine served to him and the Castel del Papa in the Vinifera line, blind tasting and he preferred....you guessed it, our wine! She was pretty happy because they would normally turn up their noses as at the "home made wine".

We made the Castel de Papa in the Vinifera Noble kit and were suprised at how good it was. Not quite as good as a 15 liter kit, but very, very close. I will be watching this thread to see Appleman's comments.

I checked the SG of this this morning, expecting to rack it today because it is in the furnace room so temps are stable in the 70's. It has had a nice vigorous ferment going, but has seen a nice low foam. Now this morning it has that fizzing type ferment going. Much to my surprise, it is right at 1.045- too soon to rack. The directions say6 days and it has been only 4. Right on schedule. The smells are still wonderful.

Sorry to hear of your wife's illness. Can't imagine how awful that made you feel. I'll pray for a speedy recovery.

Thanks for posting to this thread, Appleman. Like George, I'll be watching for your review of the new MM kit.

Appleman,
Hope your wife is doing better! I am a newbie--first batch of Vinifera Shiraz in 2ndary right now after 6 days in primary, with beginning SG of 1.090 and SG at 2ndary of....1.004????Temps were hold steady at 68-70 degrees, I don't understand why it dropped so low so quickly? I racked Thursday night, but haven't checked SG again since then. I am not seeing alot of bubbling, but am not worried.

I didn't use the chips included, but instead used heavy toasted hungarian oak cubes, and plan to check "oakiness" in about 10 days, and check again 2 weeks after that. I like oakiness, and have heard good things about the Hungarian oak...

Anyhow, I am looking forward to tasting in about 10 days just to see what is going on. I will also keep folks posted, since it seems this line is just becoming popular and many are looking for insights into it's progress.

Jodsterag

6 days in the primary is about right. Also with the SG that low, it will be bubbling very slowly. Aerobic activity is over when you get the most activity and anerobic activity has taken over. I didn't even open up the Vinifera Noble Shiraz yet to wee what oak is in it. Now you have me curious- time to go open it up and look. Don't go too long with the Hungarian without checking. I works really fast and imparts it's flavors quickly. It makes me think of a nice barbeque smoky flavor.

By the way, Welcome to the forum. I haven't seen you here before.

Just checked the Vinifera Noble Shiraz for Oak. It includes one 90 gram bag of a dark oak. Another bonus I didn't find in the Franc Sauvignon - was 30 very nice labels. They are generic Vinifer Noble Labels depicting a castle. There are small variety labels to go along with them. Very nice touch indeed for an inexpensive kit. Now I can't wait to start this one!Edited by: appleman

I have been a bit slow with the final steps of this one. I racked it to secondary and added oak on time, but I couldn't get to it last weekend to add k-meta and k-sorbate, degas and add the liquigel and siligel. I was able to do that today and taste it. I must say I was a bit skeptical of this wine-it sounded just too good to be true. I will also be the first to say that it is much better than I could have hoped for. Way too early to be definitive about it, but the descriptions of it on the description are pretty close. I don't find it thin at all, but it way just be all the oak, tannins and yeast still in it, but so far I am truly impressed with such a cheap wine kit.
Here is a picture of it. I have a couple more on the thread about the multipurpose vacuum device, since I used it to degas before addin clarifiers.

20080210_112929_100_3651_Medium.jpg

Joseph and I were also very impressed with this wine kit and we are getting extremely positive feedback on them, as well. Yes, they are a tad thin, but there is nothing missing from the flavor or the aroma. I am pitching them as wines to "get you by" while your top end wines age.
Joseph and I have are trying an experiment with the Castel del Papa with some Scott Lab tannins. The results should be available for posting in March.

One last note is that with the recent price increases by Winexpert and Spagnols, the Vinifera Noble 10 liter kits will be very close in price to the Vintner's Reserve 7.5 liter kits. Seems like a good deal to me.

I have the Vinifera Noble Sangiovese kit in clearing stage and the Vinifera Noble Franc Sauvignon kit in the secondary on oak...At this point they are both very nice for 10 L. kits...I would say they compare to some of the WE. Select kits....I know time will be the telling differents, so far they are coming out to be nice kits....I think I will be ordering more of these kits..

After about 9 months of bulk aging now, I bottled this one today. While I had been impressed early on with this one, I am even MORE IMPRESSED now. It seems to have more solids in it than any concentrated kit I have made from other brands. It actually has more mouthfeel to it than you would get out of most higher end kits. It is almost like it didn't drop as much solids out as you would expect, keeping more body. I taste cherry and raspberry on the tongure with chocolate coming through well also. I think the oak that came with this kit was a perfect match for it.

I bottled this one last today after doing a sweetened apple cider wine, the Mosti All Juice Amarone (frozen must from last year), and the Mosti Rennaissance Amarone made into a chocolate port. After each kit kept getting better and better, I thought I would be highly dissapointed after tasting all those, but even though it is different, it was still great on it's own.

Now I will lay this one down for a couple months and then start sampling and drinking. It could make some great inexpensive Christmas wine gifts if I can part with some of them.

Latest posts

Back