Creating a Bourbon Barrel Cab Sav suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ithink2020

Reaction score
I've ordered a Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Kit (Master Vintner Winemaker's Reserve). Cyber Monday deal from Midwest Supplies. I'm wanting to make this as a Bourbon Barrel Cab Sav. I've seen a couple of ideas in the past but would like to see what you all have tried.

I see that Labelpeelers has Brewers Best Whiskey Barrel Chips. But I already have oak chips on hand.

I've also seen people taking chips and soaking them in Bourbon. I was thinking of going with this route. I thinking about taking some heavy-toasted oak chips and placing them in a ziplock bag. Then add just enough Bourbon to allow the chips to soak up the liquid. I don't want to use too much Bourbon and pull the oak flavor out of the chips. Nor do I want to add too much of the actual bourbon to the wine.

I'm thinking of adding some medium-toast oak and a tsp of Tannin to the primary for added structure and body. Then adding the Bourbon Soaked oak to the secondary.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I just read that another option is to just Oak as you would then blend in bourbon a little at a time. Then stop once it tastes good. Might be an option to look at.

Last edited:
My first option would be to actually age the wine in an old bourbon barrel to be as authentic as possible. Second option, in the absence of a bourbon or plain oak barrel, would be the method suggested in your update, oak the wine and blend in a little bourbon at a time until you hit your taste bud happy place............. FWIW, I prefer the oak flavor delivered by oak staves as opposed to chips, another option if you want to get some staves or spirals.

I've ordered a Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Kit (Master Vintner Winemaker's Reserve). Cyber Monday deal from Midwest Supplies. I'm wanting to make this as a Bourbon Barrel Cab Sav. I've seen a couple of ideas in the past but would like to see what you all have tried.

I see that Labelpeelers has Brewers Best Whiskey Barrel Chips. But I already have oak chips on hand.

I've also seen people taking chips and soaking them in Bourbon. I was thinking of going with this route. I thinking about taking some heavy-toasted oak chips and placing them in a ziplock bag. Then add just enough Bourbon to allow the chips to soak up the liquid. I don't want to use too much Bourbon and pull the oak flavor out of the chips. Nor do I want to add too much of the actual bourbon to the wine.

I'm thinking of adding some medium-toast oak and a tsp of Tannin to the primary for added structure and body. Then adding the Bourbon Soaked oak to the secondary.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: I just read that another option is to just Oak as you would then blend in bourbon a little at a time. Then stop once it tastes good. Might be an option to look at.
You can buy bourbon barrel staves online to add in, just like you would the heavy toast oak.

Latest posts

Back