Mosti Mondiale Mosti Mondiale Domaine Tradition Lambrusc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I started a MM Domaine Tradition Lambrusco over the weekend and wanted to share the progress as George has done with some of the other Mosti Mondiale kits. I read the instructions twice and will be following them exactly as written throughout the process.

The bentonite looks very different than other kits and is added to 250 ml of cold water and left alone for 30 minutes before stirring and adding the primary.Here are a few pics after it soaked for a while:

20070205_105701_Bentonite_1_Med.JPG

The little pellet shaped pieces absorbed water and when stirred after 30 mins went in solution very easily. I didn't get a shot after stirring since my batteries died and I was pressed for time.
smiley7.gif

20070205_105832_Bentonite_2_Med.JPG

The instructions said to prepare the yeast per the packet instructions so I re hydrated and pitched after making up batch. This kit came with a small packet of oak chips that are added to the secondary.

20070205_161912_Lambrusco_1_Med.JPG

Edited by: masta

That first picture looks kinda like Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup......Ya cna't see no chicken in it either.
smiley36.gif

That cause it isCampbell's Vegetarian Bentonite Noodle Soup
smiley36.gif

I on the other hand, have gleemed a whole new outlook on the end grain of plywood. Can't say as I have ever seen a close up shot like that before, at least not with the clarity you give it.

I thought you were making Saki and that was the rice.

I wish all Bentonite looked and worked that way.

Jobe...I was impressed with the picture myself and you never know how a shot will come out with the available lighting in the room. I need to check out that fuzz and see what's up with that.

I do have a Saki kit I bought from George and need to do more research on making it before I start it...oh and find more hours in the day also!
smiley4.gif

Thanks for all the good Pic's Masta. I am learning so much just from you pics.

Day 2 and the fermentation is very active with lots of CO2 rising to the surface and can see the churning action. Smells great !

20070206_165343_Lambruso_020607.JPG

Masta, My wife and I got one of the first batches that George had available in Dec. We started it right away. Followed all the directions to the letter because it is different from the WE kits we've made. Bottled it last week and it tasted great although we did add about 12 ozs. of conditioner to sweeten it. We brought some bottles to a Super Bowl party Sunday and everybody that tried it said it was as good as if not better than the store bought stuff. For a wine that needs little aging to enjoy it, this is a winner. We probably won't know what it's like after it has aged for a while because it will all be gone before it can age.

Thanks Pete.....an early drinking good red is always welcome in my house. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Just an update:

Last night I took a temperature reading of the batch since I have never done this during the active fermentation stage. The temp was 82 degrees and the batch started at 75 degrees (room temp is 72 degrees). This validates that the fermentation is exothermic and in large volumes you would really have to watch it and use some cooling.

Sure doesn't look like strawberry icecream with chocolate chip bits anymore, more like chocolate syrup.

Makes sense about the temps. There is a lot of activity by living organisms going on there as the sugars are converted to alcohol.

Am I the only one that thought that Bentonite looked like Maggots?
smiley11.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Transfered the Lambrusco to glass tonight and the instructions said to transfer everything including the sediment. I used my long handled s/s spoon to stir the batch during the transfer and it worked awesome and didn't end up with much of anything in the bottom of the primary.

20070211_174614_Lambrusco_Stiri.JPG

20070211_174735_Lambrusco_Trans.JPG

The last little bit was poured into the secondary carboy via a funnel.

20070211_174842_Lambrusco_MTBuc.JPG

A small package of oak chips was added to the carboy before the transfer and the volume was just right. Specific Gravity reading was 1.000 and this is after 7 days from starting.

20070211_175125_Lambrusco_Secon.JPG

Masta: I just started the same kit on Saturday, when looking at the directions I have a questions about the oak chips. It says to leave them one week, but it doesn't say anything about racking??? Do I rack then into a clean carboy? I'm not sure how else to get rid of them??? the directions say to rack on I think day 20 (I don't have them in front of me). My fermentation was so great, it soaked the towl I had over the top. My temp was 70 degrees.

Step #3 says to check on Day 20 for completed fermentation by a SG reading of &lt; 0.995 and rack into a clean carboy leaving the solids behind. Edited by: masta

should I leave the Oak chips longer than a week like indicated????

The oak chips are added to the secondary carboy when the batch is transferred from the primary at a SG of &lt;1.020 which should happen around day 6. The first racking off the sediment including the oak chips should not be until day 20 or a SG of &lt;0.995 so the oak will have ~14 days of contact in the batch.

Ok I now see where the confusion is...sorry I missed it before!
smiley18.gif
I plan to leave the oak in the batch until the fermentation is complete around day 20 and see no reason why this would not be ok.

I will confirm this with Mark from Mostito clarify...Thanks Kutya for bringing this question up.
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back